Sick rummy nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruna75

Aquarium Advice Activist
This morning when I turned the lights on I noticed one of my rummy nose in the back looking stressed. I noticed to white bumps And instantly thought ich, but then I looked at all my other fish and they are all fine so after comparing the sick rummy with the healthy ones he seems to have a red mark near the white spots. I tested the water
Ammo 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5/10
Ph 7.8
Temp is 78
His tank mates are
Panda corys
Lemon tetra
Platys
1 black Molly
Bosemani rainbows
1 Bolivian ram
1 German blue ram
Neon & cardinal tetra
75 gallon tank
The lemon tetra are nippers, could it be a bruise and ich? He was fine last night. I did 2 things with my tank last night, added another filter, and added seachem flourish. if it is ich I know to raise the temp but can I add salt with all the fish I have? I know the GBR and pandas are sensitive fish.

Oops forgot the pics!
Near his tail.

Attachments

• image-782581906.jpg
    image-782581906.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 103
  • image-2905004660.jpg
    image-2905004660.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image-222569000.jpg
    image-222569000.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 70
Here is a closer pic. His tail fin appears to be nipped also :O

Attachments

• image-3498922.jpg
    image-3498922.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 75
Well here are more pics. He wasn't doing to good, he started flopping and swimming upside down, then the rainbows started to attack him so I put him in ice water to end his misery. Any thoughts on what it was. I don't think it was ich after looking at him closely. His tail looked like a lump was in there under the red spot.

Attachments

• image-2284383178.jpg
    image-2284383178.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 75
  • image-437814382.jpg
    image-437814382.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-128477491.jpg
    image-128477491.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 75
I got them Thursday. The other 3 are fine as can be. But then again so was he up until this morning. That spot came out of nowhere. I have been keeping a close on since I got them since I heard they can be sensitive.

Bruna75 said:
I got them Thursday. The other 3 are fine as can be. But then again so was he up until this morning. That spot came out of nowhere. I have been keeping a close on since I got them since I heard they can be sensitive.

Things like this unfortunately can be expected with Rummy's ... They're notorious for being fine for the first day or so and then have them come own with something. Out of the dozen I've purchased, I've got 3 left. I'll admit i don't recall any of my Rummies showing what your has. Hopefully someone else can comment. Other than QT'ng probably not much more you can do.

Alot of rummy's sold are wild caught which is alot of the problem. I actually waited till I found tank bred rummy's and all 21 have been fine for a year. It's well worth the wait and checking to see if rummy's are tank breed. They are just so much hardier.

Oh wow. I did not know that:/ I will have to ask my lfs if they were wild. If so where do I go find some that are not? They are sold nowhere else near me. Do you know of any online places? Thank you all for the help!

Bruna75 said:
Oh wow. I did not know that:/ I will have to ask my lfs if they were wild. If so where do I go find some that are not? They are sold nowhere else near me. Do you know of any online places? Thank you all for the help!

Yep ... Rivercats nailed it. Rummynose are notorious for being very sensitive fish. Almost All LFS (at least in my area) rummy's are wild caught ... Which leads to a lot of loss at the LFS due to shipping stress, differing water chemistry etc ... And then the whole thing repeats when you buy them. I can almost guarantee your are wild caught.

If you want tank breed, you can post a thread in classifieds if anyone here breeds them.

The good news is, after a month ... yep give it a month ... Any that survive become surprisingly heady.

Thanks! I have 3 left out of the 4 I was lucky enough to get, I really want to up their school. Now I have to hunt rummys and panda Cory. Some reason they are scarce around here. Thanks for the advice ;)

I actually ordered mine from two different places in order to get enough. Live aquaria has both wild caught and tank raised and you have to order which ones you want. Tank raised are more expensive but well worth the extra price. The other place is AquariumFish.net. They actually will list if a fish is tank bred/raised. Or if your lucky you can find a breeder.

Back
Top Bottom