Sick tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

darbyy7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have three von Rio tetras in my tank. Recently one became very big and round. I thought it was pregnant but now I noticed that it is losing its stripes and red color. It's mouth is also a little rotted.
I've had mouth rots before on bloodfin tetras from high nitrates and nitrites and treated with a stress zyme which fixed it.
It's the first time I used a test kit (I've always taken water to a pet store test) but my results are
Nitrate 20
Nitrite .5
Hardness 300
Alkalinity 0
pH 6.8
What is the problem with my fish?

Well I had to flush my fish =[ the scales started to pop out and mouth rot started. How do I help my water???

The fish becoming bloated and the scales popping out or "pine coning" may be dropsy. I lost a Tiger Barb to it. My water was fine, but he wasn't passing fluid properly. I added some extra aquarium salt to help the other fish and fed them Meto+ for about 4 days mixed in with frozen blood worms. No other fish developed any symptoms of dropsy. From what I understand if the fish is to the point of being swollen and the scales poking out, there's not much you can do to help it.

Back
Top Bottom