SICK with ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEACHPANDA

Aquarium Advice Newbie
:cry: I just added a BiColor Angel, Blue Face Angel, and a Purple Tang to my 300 gal Reef System. About 3 weeks ago, my Blue Hippo's broke out in ICK then recovered, but I'm unsure if the tank really rid itself of ICK or the parasite just went dormant until the addition of these new fishes. Today, the Purple Tang, Engineer Goby, Asfur Angel, Blue Tang's ALL show sever signs of ICK. In additon to the inverts below, I have Acrapora, and several soft corals. My PH, Nitrate & Nitrite's are 100% on the mark. My salinity is .22 and temp is 80F. I plan on bringing up the temp to 82F & add 1/2 dozen cleaner wrasses. All fish are eating :D , and I use New Life. I'll start feeding the Garlic Formula. I need help to get rid of this, while my 29g QT is getting broken in - don't want to repeat this again :oops: My 30w UV is running, and I have no O Zone.

What else can I do? I'd rather not have to ditch the corals, but will do so to bring down salinity between .9 - .15. Howver, I prefer some type of working alternative. Any IDEAS?

My tank is 300 Gal, 800w VHO, 3600 g/hr Dolphin, MRC # 2 Protein Skimmer w/ 1500 g/hr Dolphin, 30 gal EcoSystem Refugium +

Chevron Tang, 3 x Yellow Tang, 3 x Blue Hippo Tang, Emporer/Imperartor Angelfish, Coral Beauty Angelfish, Majestic Angelfish, Asfur Angelfish, Paddle Fin Wrasse, Greenbird Wrasse, Red Head Solon Fairy Wrasse, Cuban Hogfish, Spanish Hogfish, Bengai Cardinal, Yellow Tail Damsel, Gold Band Maroon Clownfish, Mated Pair - False Percula Clownfish, Sleeper Gold Head Goby, 2 x Engineer/Striped Goby, Flame Goby, BiColor Blenny, 2 x Sea Cucumber, 15 Tubo Snails, Serpent Star, 2 x Brittle Star, 2 x SandSifter Star, Fighting Conch, 8 Cerith Snail, 10 BlueLeg Hermit, 2 x Emerald Crab, 2 x Pepermint Shrimp, 2 x Cleaner Shrimp

Well, I hate to be the one to tell you, but you really need to remove all the parasite hosts(fish, not inverts or corals) to qt tanks to treat while leaving the main tank fishless for 6 weeks.
The problem you have is that the 29 gallon is way too small to execute a treatment in. You will need multiple hospital tanks IMO. BTW, how big are all these fish?
add 1/2 dozen cleaner wrasses
Unfortunately that just added to the fishload you need to remove.
Here is a good article on the subject.
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

I know you have a large tank, but IMO it is extremely overstock. The stress factor because of this, coupled with the amount of fish hosts in this system may bring this parasite out in overwhelming numbers pretty quick. Not trying to be harsh, but you have some decisions to make IMO.

I've got a scale to balance, or in this case, a Reef Tank to balance :( . I've got +/- 350 lbs of LR & 2.5"-3" of sand. I've got a Purple Rim Monti, 3 Green Mushroom Cluster, Finger 3 Leather/s. While the loss of the Corals would be some big $$, the fishes values are exponentially greater. If I donated the Corals, and lowerd the spg to .9-.15 where would I stand? :? :drain: I've come for advice, and bearing bad news or otherwise, I defer to the forums expertise. I need to make lemonade from these lemons :roll:

I suppose you could donate the corals, but IMO you would also have to remove the rock in order to treat. You could place the rock into heated garbage cans and use PH's to keep the water circulating within them.
Then you could place a series of different PVC elbow for the fish to hide in and use th hyposalinity treatment. I would definitely not recommend treating with any kind of meds.
You would have to ge the salinity down to 14 ppt for a peroiod of at least 4 weeks, keeping an eye on PH and ammonia as you go along.
I also think you really should thin out the population a bit. The fish may be small now, but thats a ton of big adult size fish for that system. IMO
BTW, welcome to AA!! :)

PS, you not alone. I don't have as many fish, but I had to treat my stock for ich. Here is a pic of my hospital setup. I removed all my fish (see below) for treatment outside of the main. No fun. :(

Attachments

• hospital0001_156.jpg
    hospital0001_156.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 128
Back
Top Bottom