Silicone question for diy rock formations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atxpunx

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought some silicone for windows cracks and seals and was wondering if this was okay to use for inside the aquarium

I use GE type 1 Silicone. Make sure what you have doesnt have anything like mildew inhibitors or anything like that.

Okay I have ge silicone 2 says 100% silicone. U think I'm good. Thanks guys!

Atxpunx said:
Okay I have ge silicone 2 says 100% silicone. U think I'm good. Thanks guys!

I used ge 2 windows and doors for a sump and it was perfect. Allow it to completely cure though. I would do 3-4 days. I left mine for 2 weeks though because I went on vacation LOL

Wait! Hold on! Which ever GE product you use (1 or 2), make sure it is NOT the one for kitchens or baths. Both say 100% silicone, but one of them is 100% silicone PLUS mildewcides. It is very easy to get the wrong tube!

Also, something to know...any exposed silicone in a glued up rock formation will most likely turn white after a few days underwater. Wierd, but true, from personal experience. Get some dark brown or black sand from your local craft store, and spoon it onto any silicone that you can see while it is still wet. It will stick, and hide the whiteness (mostly).

Last edited:
Also as I was reading the fine print on ALL the silicones at Home Depot the other day (yeah took me about 3 hours lol), Every single one of the them, even the ones that were 100%, the GE1's, GE2's, Daps, all of them said NOT FOR CONTINUOUS USE UNDERWATER. So.........I didn't get any because if I use it to to put the section's in for the sump, that is continuous underwater. Don't know how others view that statement but too me it meant it's not safe/durable in the long run.

Buffy said:
Also as I was reading the fine print on ALL the silicones at Home Depot the other day (yeah took me about 3 hours lol), Every single one of the them, even the ones that were 100%, the GE1's, GE2's, Daps, all of them said NOT FOR CONTINUOUS USE UNDERWATER. So.........I didn't get any because if I use it to to put the section's in for the sump, that is continuous underwater. Don't know how others view that statement but too me it meant it's not safe/durable in the long run.

They only put that so if anything happens, they aren't liable.

that pretty much sums it up !!!!i have repaired tanks and bulk heads and marine products...i have read just about every lable on every product..even saltwater boating silicone.....it has to be 100% with no additives......and yes i have read on a few of them...not for continious underwater use.... but slitherbomb is right...just for liability purposes.....when ever you do a repair...just wait a few more days for curing.time ..its worth the extra wait !!!!

Back
Top Bottom