Silly question about guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mishyc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can guppies billy a fish and chase it into the filter? It sounds silly but I can’t explain it! I had three guppies, two yellow ones ( the ones that constantly chase each other) and an orange one. The orange one was, or appeared completely healthy yesterday, but today was found dead in the filter! The yellow ones always bickered between each other and the orange one joined in now and again. Yesterday I watched the normal behaviour between all three, then today couldn’t find the orange one till I got the filter out, could the others chased it into the filter? I have done a gravel clean, filter clean and 10 litre water change

How did you clean your filter?

Was the fish actually in the filter, what kind of filter?

A healthy fish should NOT be able to be sucked up into a filter, it is possible it could have jumped in. The problem with many of the livebearers is that quality stock is hard to come by, lots of inbreeding etc etc. So it could have just died for a reason it was born with, and sucked into the filter.

Also, what are your water parameters? Ammonia/Ammonium, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ph, temp.? With this info I can better offer a scenario on what could have happened.

All in all though, fish do jump, and if the filter happened to be where it landed, well there you go. Yes fish can bully other fish causing them to jump, I see it all the time.

A healthy fish should NOT be able to be sucked up into a filter, it is possible it could have jumped in. The problem with many of the livebearers is that quality stock is hard to come by, lots of inbreeding etc etc. So it could have just died for a reason it was born with, and sucked into the filter.

This has been my experience with guppies for years.

Can guppies billy a fish and chase it into the filter? It sounds silly but I can’t explain it! I had three guppies, two yellow ones ( the ones that constantly chase each other) and an orange one. The orange one was, or appeared completely healthy yesterday, but today was found dead in the filter! The yellow ones always bickered between each other and the orange one joined in now and again. Yesterday I watched the normal behaviour between all three, then today couldn’t find the orange one till I got the filter out, could the others chased it into the filter? I have done a gravel clean, filter clean and 10 litre water change
I would thing it could happen, because if it was being chased, all it wants to do is find a hiding spot. When fish are getting chased, sometimes don't realize where they are going, they are just trying to get away. And nothing is a silly question. Cause things happen, and you never know. Q: do you have enough females? Some fish (like Molly's) do better if there's a few females to 1 male. Just cuts down the stress, chasing, nipping, and so on. Might try to get a few more females.

The fish was in the filter dead this morning, and completely fine last night when I turned the lights off! The filter is a interpet cf 2. IMG_0688.jpg

I would thing it could happen, because if it was being chased, all it wants to do is find a hiding spot. When fish are getting chased, sometimes don't realize where they are going, they are just trying to get away. And nothing is a silly question. Cause things happen, and you never know. Q: do you have enough females? Some fish (like Molly's) do better if there's a few females to 1 male. Just cuts down the stress, chasing, nipping, and so on. Might try to get a few more females.

I had 3 males as I don’t want to breed them.

Not really, i suggest more males then, or a bigger tank
I keep a 40 gallon tank full of males growing out to be sold, they sometimes shread tails but its mostly just gentle sparring adding a female or two or a bigger fish like sailfin mollies slows it down for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom