Silver Arowana Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gotchocmilk39

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Here is the story, my friend has a home business selling fish and corals. He ordered two silver arowanas from his whole seller but the customer never showed up and he is now going on a family vacation. He has long gotten out of keeping fresh water fish and has been into saltwater for sometime so he has no room for these fish. Not wanting to loose them he asked me to take care of them. I have only about a year or two with keeping fish. My tanks consist of a 20 gal long South American themed tank with a male apistogramma cockatoo with 5 tetras, grape wood stump, sand/ coacoa nut fiber, peace lillys and water lettuce. The filter is a zoomed 501 turtle canister filter. My other tank is another 20 gal long with one unknown 2.5-3 inch african cichlid and 4 inch blue lobster with sand, slate, and peace lillys. This tank has a aquael 30 hang on the banck filter.

I have a tank divider in the second tank with the cichlid and lobster separating the two arowanas from them. The arowanas are under/or at 2 inches and one still has a yoke sac on it. We did what we could to accumate them and they are swiming good. I tried to feed them some new life tetra A +a .5mm sinking but they dont seem interested. I quickly did a little research on them and found they are not hard to keep but for my situation I may have to keep them or he is going to find another buyer. From what I have explained, are there any foods that I may need to try or is there something im doing wrong? I know a huge tank is needed for when they get bigger if I even keep them. This is why I stick to small fish.

I would try and feed them live shrimp or live worm to get them eating and if you keep them you really need to upgrade to at least 4 foot tank as soon as possible and then bigger in the future.

The more I think about it, the more I hope I dont get stuck with them. I like to build small natural environments that need very little maintenance. To bad they wont survive a Carolina winter I would build a nice natural pond for them.

Yah they are neat but you would have to put a lot of money into them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom