Silver dollars not growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argenteus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How can I grow them bigger? I have 4, 3 inch Silver dollars in a 45 gallon. I've had them for a couple of months and they haven't grown any. I feed them about 5 medium sized pellets everyday consisting of crushed spirulina discs and sinking shrimp pellets. I change about 20-25% of the water every week. Am I feeding them enough? I don't want to overfeed. Or is my tank too small? I've read that fish grow quicker in larger tanks.

a good rule of thumb is feed them enough for them to keep eating 3-5 mins.

it could be just their slow growers.

oh and i think they only get 6 inches. so like when you reach your almost full height your growing slows until you gow to your full

Silver dollars normally grow to about 5-6 inches as an adult . One thing that can seriously stunt the growth of fish is high nitrate levels, which is another reason why frequent water changes are important. If you consistently have high nitrate levels, this could be a problem, but you clean your tank adequatley, so I don't see that being a problem.

You might just have some slow growers, ya know? :wink: Probably not anything to worry about.

They also, MIGHT be reaching there full length. I don't think all will get completely to what the averages say they will, but I'm not positive.

HTH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom