Silver Dollars?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm restocking a 40 gal tank. Well, I should say that I'm adding stock. I already have 4 coryadoras, 4 neon tetras, one betta fish, one angelfish, two moonlight gouramis, and one moonrise wag (platy). At Petsmart the other day I saw some silver dollars and thought that they are really pretty. Thoughts on silver dollars? Are they difficult to keep alive and to care for? I know that discus fish are really difficult to maintain, but silver dollars are a totally different fish. Any thoughts or BTDTs would be appreciated!

Silver dollars get pretty large (up to 6") and are easy to keep. They love to eat plants though.

Wow, 6" would be big for my 40 gal. The ones I saw were about an inch and a half to two inches, I'd guess. Thanks for the response - it was helpful!

I wouldn't recommend adding anything else to that tank except maybe some other platies like the one you have so he can have some buddies

i would get some more tetras. more neons would make the 4 that you have feel more comfortable. or you could even get cardinals instead, i've heard that they will school together. i actually just picked up some black neon tetras that like to hang out with the cardinals i already have. i would also double your cories, they get very playful when in groups.

Mommytron, I had on my list to get some more neon tetras. I had five, but one died last week. I was going to get 6 neons. I also had cherry barbs on my list, but your suggestion of cardinals is a great idea. If the LFS has them in stock, I'll pick some up. I've never seen a black neon tetra - I'm going to go look up a picture. Thanks for the input!

make sure to ask your LFS how long they've had the cardinals--they tend to have a pretty high die-off rate, so the longer the LFS has had them the better. black neon tetras are pretty cool, i really like the ones i just picked up. they are a nice contrast to the very colorful cardinals. i also just picked up some glowlight tetras that are WAY cool! i love them more than i expected i would, their eyes glow orange. so neat. other great tetras-> Cochu's blue, von rio, ember, albino black neons (severum mama has some--they are SOOO cool looking!) i also just looked up Blue emperor tetras which are very cool looking too. i'm a big tetra fan, lol :D

I have two of them. They are tough fish. I've had them for about 3 years now and they grew to about 4 1/2 by 4".

They eat pretty much what ever falls in the tank. They LOVE algae wafers and flakes of any kind. Also, mine get very excited when I feed them TetraColor granules.

They get along with all of my fish in the tank just fine.(rainbows, botia loaches, red tail shark and an albino BN pleco).

They are an interesting species.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom