Silver Molly Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pocket22

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all, my silver molly is at the top of the tank and i believe not eating. She just had 4 fry though. She will eat maybe once in twp days. I feed them once a day. I heard ut maybe dropsy, but im not sure. Maybe stress? She kinda swims upward with her gills pointed
Up sometimes. WHAT IS IT!!!!

I am sorry too:(
HOWEVER, are you sure she only gave birth to 4 fry, or she ate them all but the 4 fry that survived. If she only had 4 fry, then stopped, it was probably a problem that started as she was having her babies. Mollies can have anywhere from 30-60 fry, so if she only managed to birth 4...something might have happened while she was having her babies. This is especially true if this was her first batch of fry. Sometimes these first-time-mothers don't make it through...:(

I think she probably ate them and 2 actually survived. I have 2 silver molly fry and 2 im not sure about. Her and my balloon belly molly had grayish gills. Ny balloon bellys still alive

greyish gills? Well, if the gills were really red or pink it could have been gill disease, but grey gills? I don't know...afraid I cant help you there.
But how are the the surviving fry doing?

Last edited:
And you sure nothing happened while she was giving birth? It's normal with Mollies to have female pass while given birth. They can also abandon birth through the procedure also. You should try and get a picture for next time so people will help you. Trying to say what something is, is very hard and dangerous without a picture. What if we thought it was a type of parasite but it was fungus and we would be treating for the wrong thing using the wrong meds, just wasting money..

Well, if you weren't there for the birth, then there is little info for us. More than likely, if the tank is heavily planted, she would not have managed to eat all of the fry, depending on the amount of time you were gone...
She might have abandoned the birth, I know a lot of first time mothers do. It was probably something to do with the birth.
I am sorry, but there is little we can do to diagnose with no pictures/little to no info :(
I suppose whats done is done. There is nothing you can do now. However, to reduce heartbreak in the future, I would recommend just purchasing male mollies.
If you don't know how to tell the difference, I know how to....so just ask ok? :)
I am actually skilled at it if I do say so myself ;)

UPDATE: Fry are well, 3 silver Molly and 1 black Molly. Almost 3 months old! Born may 22nd

Back
Top Bottom