silvertips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubbles1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i have six silver tip tetras in my planted 55 gallon. they were purchased to become a schooling fish but are not exactly do that, they are spread out through the tank and will sometimes school a group for a few seconds, if you have any advice about them would be greatly appreciated:fish2::) freshwater

a large fish will often make schooling fish school, but in the aquarium fish dont really feel threatend enough to really school. depending on what you have maybe add a large fish.

Schooling is a defensive order. Why school and stick together when there's no big fish around that is dangerous and could possibly eat them? My tetras NEVER school unless I'm around because apparently I'm scary to them. If you want them to school just plop in a big fish and they will.

I have silvertips and serpaes. 5 of each. They are both schooling fish. They do at times, but they actually all school and hang out together. I have 36 gallon. I have neon tetras in my other tank that hang out together some but also go do theyre own thing.

Silver-tip and other tetras don't school so much as shoal together. They won't shoal together much if they don't feel threatened. However, I've found that the a larger variety of fish (within reason) will encourage them to stay together more often.

Back
Top Bottom