Simple Question - Acclimating Mail Order Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mound

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm all set to put my new fish from armkes.com into the tank.. they're floating right now to acclimate to the temp..

just curious - what's the best way to acclimate them to the water paramaters w/o mixing the shipping water into the tank? They are in bags sealed with metal clips that are very difficult to unbend and get off - how can I best mix tank water into these bags, while they still float?

Though I am a newbie without fish yet, I read about the "drip method" in a book. Basically you take the fish and put them in a bowl or bucket (depending on how many fish) covering them with an inch or so of water they came in, then every 5-10 mins add 1/2 cup of your tank water until you have at least 1.5 gallons of your water added. Then you can net the fish and put them into your tank. You can also do this with an airline tubing siphon from your tank that is clamped or tied so that it "drips" into the bucket.

I agree with Sunni, she busted it up. If you cant take the plastic clips off, just puncture the bags without letting there water get it, just let some of your get in every so often.

Back
Top Bottom