Skimmer instead of Canister Filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimincorp

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,
Question for the experts out there: can a protein skimmer (fairly large) be used instead of a canister filter on a salt water tank?
My tank is 10 G. My power filter choices are: Fluval 204 or Fluval 304.
My skimmer is HOB with powerhead.

P.S. Currently I have the following tanks:

45 Gallon Freshwater with Fluval 304
29 Gallon Freshwater with Fluval 204
10 Gallon Saltwater with Eheim Professional II
If 204 is less powerful than Eheim Pro, I'd want to swap them - good idea or bad?

Also, how do you fix a leaking tube/waterstop joint? - Fumi tape and metal clamps?

Hmmm, that's a good questions. I can't speak for the skimmer, but it might be a good idea on a nano, as opposed to a filter. The skimmer will remove DOCs, but you can run media in a filter, like purigen, chemipure, phosban or even add LR rubble for extra biofiltration. So, I guess I just talked up the filter! LOL! I'll let the nano/skimmer folks give you their advice.
Where is the leak?

Last edited:
I would be concerned that you could even fit a protein skimmer on a 10g without it being an eyesore. a skimmer is a great idea but has no place to house beneficial bacteria if you skip the filter you need lots of live rock surface area for bacterial growth that would replace the filter. The skimmer really wouldn't replace the filter. granted adding a skimmer does give a little extra surface area for bacteria I wouldn't rely on it alone.

Which skimmer do you have how much live rock and how much flow does your tank have??

As Fiji hit on, you need a place for the nitrifying bacteria to grow. That would be either on Live Rock/Live Sand or a filter. The protein skimmer is not a filter nor a filter substitute. It removes disolved organic compounds (DOCs) from the water, but does not help help convert waste from ammonia into nitrite/nitrate/nitrogen. The cannister filter will help with the first two parts of the trifecta. You will have to rely on PWCs for the nitrate removal unless you add macro algea or a denitrifier.
The skimmer is a nice to have on that tank but not a necessity.

They make nano skimmers (but skimmers and nanos are out of my experience range).

As Fiji hit on, you need a place for the nitrifying bacteria to grow. That would be either on Live Rock/Live Sand or a filter. The protein skimmer is not a filter nor a filter substitute. It removes disolved organic compounds (DOCs) from the water, but does not help help convert waste from ammonia into nitrite/nitrate/nitrogen. The cannister filter will help with the first two parts of the trifecta. You will have to rely on PWCs for the nitrate removal unless you add macro algea or a denitrifier.
The skimmer is a nice to have on that tank but not a necessity.

ADDITIONAL QUESTION: Just thought of it now: what if I integrate filter's outflow into skimmer's inflow? There is plenty of space in the back to hook up both...

I doubt that would be efficient. The skimmer would be pulling from the foltered water and not directly from the tank. I would think you want the skimmer pulling straight from the tank to remove as much DOCs as possible. Plus you would have to match up the filter's GPH output with the skimmers input volume.

Back
Top Bottom