Skimmer Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi There, I finally ordered a protein skimmer. I just installed it (AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115) in my sump. I think I have it set at the right water level. My question is about the air intake flow. I had it set too much and it quickly bubbled up and filled the cup with water. Right now I have it bubbling about 1/3 way up the cone. The manual wasn't very clear with where to leave it. Do I leave it where I have it, and as it skims it eventually gets thicker and up and over into the cup? Help please.

Hi There, I finally ordered a protein skimmer. I just installed it (AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115) in my sump. I think I have it set at the right water level. My question is about the air intake flow. I had it set too much and it quickly bubbled up and filled the cup with water. Right now I have it bubbling about 1/3 way up the cone. The manual wasn't very clear with where to leave it. Do I leave it where I have it, and as it skims it eventually gets thicker and up and over into the cup? Help please.

Yes. Start with it low for a week or so and then start to adjust it up. How many inches of water is it sitting in?

Its in about 8" of water. So far its still just white bubbles in the cone. At some point they'll start to turn green to brown in color?

no. the bubbles will always appear white. dissolved organics will attach to the bubbles in the reaction chamber and be forced to the top where they will be pushed over the riser tube. is there a lot of bubbles? is it quiet?

As far as quiet I don't know what to compare it to. Its not really loud or anything. I can see in the lower chamber the impeller is really swirling the water into bubbles. There are a lot of bubbles coming up, I wasn't sure how high I should set the air intake. When I first set it up (yesterday) I had it bubbling over the top of the cone and just filling up with water. Overnight I set it that the bubble are 1/3 to 1/2 way up the cone. There is a little bit of water in the cup now, yellow tinge to it...

As far as quiet I don't know what to compare it to. Its not really loud or anything. I can see in the lower chamber the impeller is really swirling the water into bubbles. There are a lot of bubbles coming up, I wasn't sure how high I should set the air intake. When I first set it up (yesterday) I had it bubbling over the top of the cone and just filling up with water. Overnight I set it that the bubble are 1/3 to 1/2 way up the cone. There is a little bit of water in the cup now, yellow tinge to it...

8" is typically good. Like Mr.X said, the bubbles are always going to look white. It sounds like where you have it set now will be ok while it breaks in and then you can readjust if needed. Let us know how many days it takes to fill up the collection cup with its current setting.

I am in the exact same boat. Same skimmer and same questions. My bubbles are 1/3 right now. I guess it is wait and see.

Rob

interesting. the reason i ask about the skimmer is that it seems that it's very difficult to manufacture a protein skimmer that is small, and efficient. i have yet to hear of one that is truly effective enough to warrant it's purchase.
let us know what happens!

yeah, I've read those reviews, I always read the reviews before purchase, the reason I ended up getting this "mini" The majority say its the best for the size. I'll keep you updated with the progress. This being my first skimmer it might take a bit to get the skimmer height and water flow setup right.

Im suprised at how many good reviews it has. Then there are some haters...I wonder if its because they are used to a $500 skimmer, or because this thing is iffy?

I might get one for my 20g...I feel left out! Everyone talks about their skimmate and all...:) Plus, maybe it will improve quality in between my PWC I do about 1-2weeks.

Matt

It takes about 2-3 days to fill up the cup with very yellow liquid. Now the top of the cone is getting a darker film on the top of it.

Nick,

My mini is working great so far...third day I have gunk the canister and foam. Seems to be working well.

many folks review skimmers without owning one. so basically, they are happy if it foams up at all or produces anything.
yellow liquid however is not much of a prize in the collection cup. it should look like a pint of bass has been poured in it.

People tend to agree that this skimmer produces alot of micro bubbles that make their way into the tank, thus looking bad.

There was a guy on another forum that was getting some nasty stuff from his skimmer. Looked like chewing tobacco spit. Ick!

Matt

Since I have it in my sump I don't have an issue with the microbubbles (and I have a sponge before the return just to be sure.) I'm happy with my yellow liquid at the moment. It started off light yellow, now is a darker thicker yellow (on the orange side) I think its making its way to the "pint of bass" I thought ultimately I'm looking for something "dry" in the cup. My tank is better for having it in there, I'm going to give it a chance and post an accurate review so others can make their decision before ordering from the site.

you won't see anything completely dry. dry skimmate is just a term used for the more dense stuff....sort of like the bass.
make sure you rinse that sponge out regularly. i think a sponge before the return is detrimental because it doesn't allow any of the critters living down there to hit the return pump and travel back to the DT. i would remove it and see if you can live without it.

Thanks for clarifiying. Actually how I have it setup its blocking any bubbles that would want to be sucked in, but shouldn't block the pods. Its not actually against the in-take, just a barrier at that point (its actually a foamy filter bad not actually a sponge) Water flows freely totally around the in-take (can't explain it this early in the morning, but pods have a several ways to get into that section freely)

Back
Top Bottom