Skimmer vs. CO2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CGGorman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been running a skimmer on my Fluval to help with protein film and other floating debris. The tank is low-to-medium light with no CO2 or aeration. I run the exhaust port of the Fluval under the water surface to reduce noise.

Does the skimmer adversely affect my CO2 levels?

Is it counter productive to use a skimmer on a CO2 injected tank?

Since you're not CO2 injected, the surface skimmer makes no difference.

A surface skimmer isn't the same as a SW protein skimmer, which uses foam fractionation to bond DOC's to the surface of the bubbles it creates, which then collect in a cup you can dump out. A surface skimmer just grabs surface debris, including the 'protein slick' we're all familiar with.

A SW skimmer run on a FW CO2 injected tank would, IMO, reduce CO2 in the water due to the turbulence it creates. I've not ever used a surface skimmer, though I don't think it would reduce CO2 that much...no more than a non Bio-wheel HOB filter would, probably less.

If you aren't injecting co2, then anything that creates surface agitation will actually increase the levels in the water. This is because the concentration of co2 in the air is greater than that in the water, and surface agitation speeds up the gas exchange between the two. So, power filters, airstones, skimmers, I think would help the plants co2-wise (if you aren't already injecting it). If you are injecting, then you want as little to escape as possible, therefore no agitation.

workfortheman said:
If you aren't injecting co2, then anything that creates surface agitation will actually increase the levels in the water. This is because the concentration of co2 in the air is greater than that in the water, and surface agitation speeds up the gas exchange between the two. So, power filters, airstones, skimmers, I think would help the plants co2-wise (if you aren't already injecting it). If you are injecting, then you want as little to escape as possible, therefore no agitation.

Except surface agitation without CO2 injection won't cause water CO2 levels to exceed 3-4ppm...which is atmospheric level.

So, you are correct that if the plants pull all CO2 out of the water, than surface agitation will at least keep water at 'normal' CO2 levels for a non-injected tank.

The skimmer he is talking about just syphons from the surface, it keeps the film off by sucking it into the filter. No aggitation.

I was curious about that too, I think it's still a good idea to have it as it will keep the O2 levels better for the fish (allowing some exchange, esp. at night.) But I would be interested to know the answer.

Back
Top Bottom