Slate cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im wanting a slate cave for my aquarium(I've got an endless supply of slate available in many sizes and there is a ton of it in the slate quarry which has been filled with water and fish so I know it is safe) and I have a few questions-
Is GE 1 silicone safe for aquarium use?
Will it affect my pH?

emerald76 said:
Im wanting a slate cave for my aquarium(I've got an endless supply of slate available in many sizes and there is a ton of it in the slate quarry which has been filled with water and fish so I know it is safe) and I have a few questions-
Will it affect my pH?

Look up rovics thread, I think its called cave/slate. It turned out really awesome. The silicone is safe but I always soak whatever i'm using the silicone on just to make sure it doesn't change anything in my water. So far I've come up with nothing wrong with it :)

emerald76 said:
Will it affect my pH?

I've got a nice size slate cave built with GE silicone I and I have no problems whatsoever out of it.

Did the silicone hold the rocks together? I tried this once and they didn't.

Hello Emerald 76,
I built a Slate cave which turned out i think really nice! i did make sure the slate was well prepared like allowing it to soak for at least 7 days then gave it a good "cooking" which the neighbor's thought very strange! i then Built the cave, i used Black Gold Label Aquarium Sealer which in my opinion would hold a house together.
If that Sealer isn't available then I'd use which ever well known aquarium Sealer you have in your area. after the cave was built i then gave it anther good soaking for i think a week.
its been in my tank now for some time the fish just love it, theres a good growth of moss now taking shape on it i couldn't be more pleased with it ...... so i say "Go for it" your fish and you can then enjoy your skills. :fish1:

Back
Top Bottom