SLF ate my SCS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, my Sally light foot and my skunk cleaner shrimp have been in my 30g for approx 8 months now. I got both when they were small and have matured well.
Today we found the SLF eating the SCS. I'm really sad bc I really loved my skunk aka Dr Shrimpy :(
will return the Sally to my LFS tomorrow for store credit... Read in other places that they are labeled as "reef safe" but ppl are having problems with them... I bet he is the one eating my mushrooms and who killed my feather duster :,(

Poor little Dr Shrimpy RIP

Sorry about your shrimp. There are 2 types of animals in the sw world I have seen those that hunt and those that clean up. Most of the clean up crew will also hunt if the opportunity arises.

Unicorn said:
Well, my Sally light foot and my skunk cleaner shrimp have been in my 30g for approx 8 months now. I got both when they were small and have matured well.
Today we found the SLF eating the SCS. I'm really sad bc I really loved my skunk aka Dr Shrimpy :(
will return the Sally to my LFS tomorrow for store credit... Read in other places that they are labeled as "reef safe" but ppl are having problems with them... I bet he is the one eating my mushrooms and who killed my feather duster :,(

Poor little Dr Shrimpy RIP

Are you sure you didn't see your SLF eating the molt of your other shrimp?

Ricksreef said:
Are you sure you didn't see your SLF eating the molt of your other shrimp?

Nope, looked pretty "meaty" to me :(
He was holding the entire shrimp in his pinchers eating him starting from the tail. Still really upset about it

austinsdad said:
The shrimp could could have easily died without the crab's help ya know. Then of course, the crab'll do what it do.

That's what I thought too, but then I googled it and more than one person reported the same thing :(

Of course did i do my research When I got him and he seamed safe.
Even if he only ate the left overs, I just can't trust him anymore :(
Dr Shrimpy was happy and healthy one moment, and then dead the next...

Of course it's not the crabs fault entirely, he does what he does, mother nature wanted him this way. BUT I'm scared he'll attack other things now that he is bigger, and I will naturally blame any disappearance on him...

Back
Top Bottom