small algae eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jagwa

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey all. i own a 30 gal tank. i have recently noticed that some of my plants are getting a brown algae on their leaves. i have 3 cories, 8 neons and 2 rams. Are there any small algae eating fish that can help me with this problem?

if its a new tank its likely diatoms which should go away with time, the Oto is one of the only fish that will clean it up

Otos are great little guys, and yes they love eating diatoms (brown "algae"). If you have only a little of the brown stuff, then 1-2 otos would probably suffice. If you have a lot, then 3-4 would be better. They are actually shoaling fish so erring on the side of getting a larger number is not a bad thing, as long as your tank isn't overly stocked.

Just make sure the "BN pleco" you buy is an ancistrus and not the other since they will get too large. Ancistrus only get 4" max for a large male.

Will Oto's play nice with Corys and a betta?

My 10g has constant algae issues and could use some cleaners.

Will Oto's play nice with Corys and a betta?

My 10g has constant algae issues and could use some cleaners.

Yep. Otos wouldn't hurt a fly. I suppose there is a chance (0.01%) that your betta might decide he/she doesn't like the otos and starts picking on them. But if your betta can tolerate corys, then I would think it would certainly tolerate a few otos.

Back
Top Bottom