Small frag tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok. so i have been wanting to start a small frag tank build for a while now. i want to be able to grow out my frags to sell or trade for new frags. so i quickly designed a tank on my computer. looking for some input on the design. i have a friend who owns a local plastic fab company. i can get it made from any material. i was thinking acrylic would be the best bet. i dont really want to run a sump unless i have to. i dont have the room to put a tank under it. but here is my idea

(the visual dimentions are off. go by measurements. it was a quick design lol)

img_2405773_0_4824268886b576f63129fd49c1323aae.png

i figured the rear of the tank will be its own small sump similar to a nano cube design. i will just fill it with live rock rubble and then i can use a small filter pad for any debris. i dont think i will need the bubble trap idea at the beginning but i wasnt sure. i will most likely use something around a 600 gph pump for the overflow and another 400 in the tank for movement.

i am open to suggestion. i have never had a frag tank so im not sure of the requirements for filtration vs a regular tank. total water volume will be around 13 gal. i will most likely be using a 36 watt par38 bulb over the tank. thanks in advance.

I like it. My suggestions would be to keep the first chamber with the bubble trap baffles in case you decide to add a nano skimmer later.... something like a Hydor Slim-Skim would fit nicely in there.
And, make the divider piece (between the sump and main tank) black..... that way if you decide to put on a small clip-on light for a small center chamber refugium, the light won't be spilling into the main area.

I was looking at doing the back wall in black. is a skimmer needed for a frag tank of this size? I'm really not sure.

I was looking at doing the back wall in black. is a skimmer needed for a frag tank of this size? I'm really not sure.

No, it's really not needed, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. At 15 gallons, regular pwc's would do...... Though, IMO, if you plan on running it purely as a frag tank, I'd personally want to keep the water as clean as possible.

Back
Top Bottom