Small goldfish and feeding schedule?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanut12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

I have kept larger Ryukins for about 3 years now so I know how to feed adults properly without overfeeding, however, I recently aquired a few small (1-inch or slightly less) Ryukins. I am not sure how often these young fish need to eat given that they are growing fast and much more active than my adults (they little one are quarantined away from the adults). So far I have been feeding them small amounts twice a day similar to the schedule for my adults. But I feel like this is not enough given how frantic they seem to eat. I am also concerned because I will be going on vacation in a few weeks and I want to make sure they are properly taken care while I am gone. Any good advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

Hello all,

I have kept larger Ryukins for about 3 years now so I know how to feed adults properly without overfeeding, however, I recently aquired a few small (1-inch or slightly less) Ryukins. I am not sure how often these young fish need to eat given that they are growing fast and much more active than my adults (they little one are quarantined away from the adults). So far I have been feeding them small amounts twice a day similar to the schedule for my adults. But I feel like this is not enough given how frantic they seem to eat. I am also concerned because I will be going on vacation in a few weeks and I want to make sure they are properly taken care while I am gone. Any good advice would be welcomed. Thank you.

You could go up to 3 feedings a day, i have seen plenty of people that do meals almost like a standard human schedule. It also couldn't hurt to work in plant matter or freeze dried brine shrimp here and there to help with their diet.

Hello aqua...

I feed Goldfish fry twice daily. The water chemistry in smaller, fry tanks isn't as stable as a large tank and I don't want the water chemistry to change because of uneaten food left to dissolve in the water. I only perform water changes once weekly. If you want to feed the fry more or more often, then go ahead, but change their tank water more often, to maintain good water conditions. Remember, a slightly hungry fish is a healthier fish.

B

I usually use a 10 gallon qt tank for new juveniles. It's not cycled and I keep no substrate. After feeding I use a turkey baster and suck up any uneaten food after feeding. I also usually do 50% water changes every 2 to 3 days. I would think this would also work for your situation.

Honestly GF digestive systems are such as they could eat all day long!!!

You can feed small amounts even more frequently. As you think like human babies, or other baby animals they feed frequently. But water changes are more frequent as well. As you mention getting them growing nice and healthy, good foods and fresh clean water are key.

I can't seem to find it atm, but i believe I read 6 times a day but only what they eat in a couple minutes - drop it in a little at a time to give them a chance to find and eat it, then drop in a little more, and again.

GF adults can be fed 3-5 times a day. Again in paced feeding and over a few minutes. But they do seem to always act like they are starving.

Also always when using any freeze dried food, let it soak up tank water first.

Back
Top Bottom