Small Snail-Eaters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarylF2

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a very small (6-gallon Eclipse Six) tank and a 20-gallon long tank. Both tanks just completed cycling and I'm starting to stock them.

The 6-gallon tank has 1 Corydoras and 2 Neon Tetras; I plan on adding 2 Otocinclus catfish and 3-4 more Neon Tetras. This tank has 5 plants (a Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis), a Tropica Fern (Microsorium pleropus), and 3 Aponogeton) as well.

The 20L tank has 2 Fancy Guppies; I plan on adding 5-6 Marbled Hatchetfish, 2-3 Corydoras, 2-3 Otocinclus catfish, possibly 1-2 Kuhli Loaches, and the centerpiece: 2 German Blue Rams. It has a lots of plants, and will be fairly heavily planted before I add the Rams (in 3-4 months).

Both tanks are small and will be pretty much stocked to capacity.

I'm concerned about snails in these tanks. I don't have any yet, but I'd like to add plant cuttings from my 38-gallon tank which has a lot of small (family Physidae) snails (which my Salwnsis Botia loaches love...). Adding loaches works WONDERFULLY to keep snails in check, but the 6-gallon tank is too small (and full) for any loaches, probably. The 20L is big enough for very small loach varieties, possibly... But I don't want to add anything that might upset the Rams.

Should I just use the zucchini-trap method to catch snails? Any other suggestions?

zucch trap does wonderfully. in the end, since you can get most snails in a small tank, you will eventually take them out and you wont have a snail infestation.

also, 2 fancy guppies get large (5+ inches). i would take those out since with them, the 20 is way overstocked.

In my 38, if I didn't add extra algae tablets for the snails to eat, they'd nibble on my plants. And all my tanks are planted...

EDIT:

chotie said:
also, 2 fancy guppies get large (5+ inches). i would take those out since with them, the 20 is way overstocked.

These will get to 5+ inches?
P1000597%20%28detail%29.jpg

Wow. I had no idea...

haha my dads female guppy got over 2 inches but not much over maybe 2.5 at the most she was huge. but think cause he has an understocked tank.
she has lots of room to grow. i also think it had something to do with the babys she was popping out once a month. but she did after her last bunch. her HOLE wouldnt close after giving birth i was quite sad she was originally mine but i gave her up cause i already had a female and i thought he would have fun with her. since i had two big girls. and his grew and was huge and had like 5 batches of babies while mine had one and then died 1.5 months later.
sorry now im mumbling . :(

Back
Top Bottom