Small tropical fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoredMan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I have a tiny 3 gallon glass tank stocked with 3 juvenile Harlequin Rasboras and 1 juvenile Oto Catfish.

1 -Was told that the Harlequins were OK for a tiny tank if I adhered to the 1 fish per 1 gallon rule... And I was told that these fish were very sturdy and good for beginners.

2 - The Oto I got because I wanted a bottom feeder...

But is the Oto a true bottom feeder? Will it eat the leftover food that hits the bottom? Or is it a glass cleaning algae eater?

3 - Can we list some small tropical fish that are readily available on the market besides the Neon Tetras?

Someday when I get a much larger tank, I hope to stock schools of tiny fish over less number of larger fish.

1-Truly, I would only see a single betta in tank that small or something really small. You need a minimum of 5 harlequin rasbora's for them to thrive. And those will outgrow the tank in no time at all.

2-The oto will quickly outgrow the tank. I suggest getting a bigger aquarium or re-homing.

3-GloFish Are a nice variety

Conclusion: Try getting a 5gallon or a 10 gallon. They don't cost much, especially used. If not, I suggest re-homing, as you are overstock and might have difficulties.

IMO harlequins need a larger tank as they are active fish and a good size. So do Otos. I'd return them if you can or upgrade to at least a 20 gal. RIght now you're overstocked so I wouldnt' add any more. A 3 gal isn't good for much except for some shrimp or a single betta. Glofish and neons are active and need at least a 20 gal as well.

Back
Top Bottom