Snail id please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403552071.953578.jpg

My new plants had a passenger. Any idea what kind? He is brown with black spots. Sorry it's blurry it's the best I can get.

All I can find for brown with black spots is nerite snails but don't think that's the case as I understand they don't breed in tanks and they must have come as eggs as they were not visible on the plants.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403552705.313158.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403552741.468721.jpg

These are better I think. And if it helps, the shell is shaped more like a cinnamon roll than the pointy kind.

I have done lots of searches and can't find them. I see dark brown with light spots (pond snail) but not the brown with black spots.

OK thanks. I didn't really want any - they creep me out! But I guess I have them now. Oh well I guess I'll look on the bright side, maybe they will help with algae control.

Ramshorns aren't much help with algae, but they're harmless to live plants, mainly eat leftover fish food and dead leaves. If you want to get rid of them put a piece of copper (not a new penny, a wheat penny should work) in the tank or filter for a couple weeks. Otherwise, limit the amount you feed the fish to keep the snails from running amok.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom