Snail with goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yaggey

Aquarium Advice Regular
Thoughts on placing a snail with goldfish? I've read mixed reviews online. I have 4 total, 3 are around 2in and the Oranda is about 4-5in (size of a fist)

Goldfish are very messy fish. Snails thrive on excess nutriants. Sorry but the two organisms just can't exist in the same environment.

I came to that conclusion because goldfish require clean water especially fancy goldfish. Clean sustainable water can only be created using a strong filter. Strong filters eliminate the nutriants that snails require to survive. Plus snails would have trouble compeating food with goldfish.

I came to that conclusion because goldfish require clean water especially fancy goldfish. Clean sustainable water can only be created using a strong filter. Strong filters eliminate the nutriants that snails require to survive. Plus snails would have trouble compeating food with goldfish.
What life sustaining nutrients do filters remove?

I don't think that my snails have to compete with the goldfish too much, the goldies are pretty messy eaters so there's usually plenty of leftovers everywhere. I've kept several with mine for quite some time and they have done great.

As long as they are large. Small ones will end up as dinner. Ramshorns can get lodged in their mouths so they are best avoided. I have mystery snails in with mine.

Thoughts on placing a snail with goldfish? I've read mixed reviews online. I have 4 total, 3 are around 2in and the Oranda is about 4-5in (size of a fist)

I have never kept snails in my goldfish aquarium, so can't speak from experience -- only from what I've read.

From what I've read, apple snails can coexist with goldfish.

Agree that you may want to get larger snails -- because as you know, if something can fit in a goldfish's mouth, sooner or later it will get eaten. ;-)

I have apple snails, and they are a decent size. I'll throw one in and see what happens.

Thanks

Snails are fine. I have japense trapdoor snails right now (pretty cool snails!) in addition to the garden variety pond snail. Goldies will eat smaller snails so just look into something large enough that it can not fit in their mouth. :)

Back
Top Bottom