Snails and Apistos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JeffreyL

Aquarium Advice Freak
Basically I am looking for a cleanup crew for an apisto tank. The tank houses a trio of Apistogramma cacatuoides, and especially with fry, I know darn well I am going to overfeed!! :roll: How would a small group of mystery snails do? There are minimal live plants to worry about. How has this worked for anyone else? Hmmmmm. For that matter, possibly a more decorative ramshorn ......

Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Who ordered this bloody weather!!!!! The wind chill was below 20 last nite. I moved to North Carolina from Illinois to get away from this .... stuff.

as long as the fry are free swimming they should be ok, i would not trust snails with eggs though... :?

I had MTS in with my apisto eggs (with a successful hatching). The Apistos are pretty protective and would actually pick up the snails in their mouths and move them away from the eggs. I'm not sure how it would work with mystery snails though.

aa

I can and probably should redo the flower pot caves, making a smaller hole this time. There is way more than enough room for the females. And a smaller hole should prevent a larger snail from getting in. If that is not workable, when the MTS get procreating I can move some over. :D

IME, the Mayaysian trumpets are the only snails I'd trust with eggs/fry. Had 'em for years and wouldn't think of keeping a freshwater tank without 'em.

Back
Top Bottom