Snails during fishless cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AtHomeWithTwins

Aquarium Advice Activist
So apparently high levels of amm, nitrite and nitrate have no affect on snails?! Just found four of them in my planted cycling 55. I didnt do a great job cleaning the plants bc i figured any hitch hikers would be killed during the cycle. I was wrong. Any thoughts on getting rid of them? They're so small i cant really tell what kind they are.

I though they would of had to be in a cycled tank too....great might go get some to put in e tank that I am cycling, instead of just looking at plants lol

As I posted before, snails live in and feed on rotting vegetation in low oxygen and high levels of chemical waste, noxious gases etc..... so why would they suffer in a cycling tank :). I recently read some abstracts from scientific papers on the effects of ammonia and nitrite on various aquatic inverts.... snails were the least effected.

You can try to manually removing them. I use my long planting tweezers to pluck and crush them.

You can also trap them and remove them en mass.

Agreed. I do a check every night before feeding time. I grab any I see with my tweezers and smush'em. My Serpaes and Corys both like to eat them.

Back
Top Bottom