snails! snails! snails!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for the lfs talk to the kid's manager. You can get yoyo loaches and move them to a bigger tank. They usually come from the lfs small enough. I find another thing that works well but you need to do it every day is an algae wafer in a small glass or plastic container, overnight and in the morning remove the container and snails and do it again that evening. IMO you will have to do this regularily as the snails will have laid eggs all over the tank by now. I got rid of most of my snails finally by doing that and changing the substrate to sand LOL. Not all of them but am down less than 10 that I am erradicating as I see them. Good luck with the snail battle!

hmm, snails are starting to invade my 30gal....maybe my loach should take a week or so in that tank and do some cleaning :devilish:

Be warned. If you do get yo-yos, they sleep on thier sides. Don't freak out when you see it!

I got it if your wanting something small and dosen't take up or grow to much. Use what I got a dwarf puffer. Get you two or three of those and say good bye snail. With in a week. They eat the eggs on the glass as well.

awe yeah pond snails can be a huge PITA from what i hear. I have ramshorns, MTS, and apple snails in my tanks.. all of which i love.

Ultratonic1- Fish tanks can carry diseases that can cause infection in humans so it is really smart of you to be careful. The best way as i said was HANDWASHING after you handle your tank and fish. That is the best and easiest way to prevent infection. Also you could invest in a pair of long aquarium gloves to use while working in your tank. I work in a hospital and we use Universal precautions... the main way is by handwashing before and after patient contact. Thats how we prevent getting sick ourselves and transmitting sicknesses from one patient to the next.

After reading this entire thread (I hate snails) I'm thinking of putting a couple of young kuhli loaches in a 20 and 10 gal to eradicate the snails. I have tried the baiting method and it does work to an extent. The problem is you have eggs hatching all the time. Will the loaches eat the eggs as well? Can you put a dwarf puffer in a peaceful community tank (20 and 10 gal) for a short time to do the same thing? If so, what kind of "dwarf puffer"?

i wouldn't do the puffer... you could "borrow" a clown loach and then return it.. these seem to be the best snail eaters... but i wouldn't get one permanently. Other loaches do pretty good though. ITs just that the puffer is so risky and it could hurt your other fish.

I have read dwarf puffers can be very mean. they may chomp my guppies. Khuli or yo yos sound like the best bet for me. Just need to find a store that sells them around here.

AshleyNicole, good advice for everyone here about taking steps to prevent an infection. I'm springing for some gloves. I''ve been able to smash some with my magnet cleaner by the way.

ultratonic1 said:
I have read dwarf puffers can be very mean. they may chomp my guppies. Khuli or yo yos sound like the best bet for me. Just need to find a store that sells them around here.

AshleyNicole, good advice for everyone here about taking steps to prevent an infection. I'm springing for some gloves. I''ve been able to smash some with my magnet cleaner by the way.

HEY there's another use for a mag float :p

good idea on skipping on the puffer :wink: Nice to see someone making an educated decision.

the magnet is pretty strong so if you place felt end outside the glass over where the snail is and lower the other mag in water using the string an inch or half an inch away from the glass, bam! just be careful your fish don get smooshed.

Back
Top Bottom