Snails that dont eat plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corster

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is there any snails that don't eat plants. I'm having a hard time with algae, hair algae ispeshally. I have a flying fox and to pleco's. (This is after I stopped with fertilizers and the lights off for a few days and then for less time )

There are lots of snails that won't eat plants, but I don't know about them eating hair algae. I've heard SAEs love it though.

You best bet is turn the lights on, add the right amount of ferts, and crank the CO2.

Nothing gets rid of algae better then a well balanced tank.

MTS don't eat plants BTW.

I have MTS, pond snails, ramshorn snails, spixi, and apple snails and none of them have touched hair algae. I've seen my SAE eat it occasionally.

If you're looking for plant safe snails, I would definatly reccomend Apple snails (Pomacea Bridgesii). They come in amazing colors and are very active and fun to watch.

I have 5 Oto catfish, 2 SAEs, and 1 Flying Fox and my 55 Gallon is essentially algae free. I think the reason i moved from tons of hair algae to no algae was more that i got my CO2 and ferts balanced.

The only snail I know of that will eat algae is Nerite snails (and they don't eat plants). I am not sure if they will eat hair algae though.

Best to correct the root cause of the algae as others had suggested.

Back
Top Bottom