snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boomer2244

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are the tiny little snails crawling all over my lfs tanks ok to put in my tank or are they parasites like the employees say?

Boomer2244 said:
Are the tiny little snails crawling all over my lfs tanks ok to put in my tank or are they parasites like the employees say?

They aren't parasites but they can be pest
Bc they multiply like crazy and can take over a tank

A pearl gourami, 2 female betas, rainbows, larger tetras, swords, mollys, platys, corys, 2 spotted raphael cats, bn pleco

If you have a large tank and the room to put some clown loaches in there they can take care of that problem for you.

Are you sure they are snails? If they are tiny things that are white, that look like snails without shells, then they are planaria. Planaria are harmless and kind of funny to look at in oictures. Google planaria and look at some pics... :)

It's a 55g and no they have shells and everything they look like baby snails

Boomer2244 said:
It's a 55g and no they have shells and everything they look like baby snails

can you ghost some pictures? That would help...

The next time I go to my lfs I'll try but they look like babysnails with brown and/or grey shells

Boomer2244 said:
The next time I go to my lfs I'll try but they look like babysnails with brown and/or grey shells

Best way to get rid of these are assassin snails. Keep one in the tank, they eliminate all snails and can easily eat up all in a week. Let the snail population rise, then add the assassin! :)

First of all it is not advised for you to keep 2 Bettas(of either sex) together in the same tank, unless it's divided. You said the snails have brown shells? They sound like Malaysian Trumpet Snails...which are fine. I would also advise you to remove a female Betta, just to be safe

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/53355701@N06/4950814414/

This I what they look similar to the only difference with the 1s at my lfs is that their shells are a little darker. And the betas have been together in the tank for over a yeR withno problems at all. I had 5 of them but needed to regime 3 cause they got sick and my peacock had to be moved with them cause of my gourami but they've been in the same tank for about 8 months now withno probs either

If the link doesn't show them then the only other thing I can say about them is that they are the snails that usually come along when you buy live plants

Boomer2244 said:
If the link doesn't show them then the only other thing I can say about them is that they are the snails that usually come along when you buy live plants

They are most likely pond snails. Sometimes nerite snails have a white dot where their spiral of the shell ends.

Those snails aren't a problem. I've had them before and the only downside is that they aren't that attractive to look at. I would suggest just squishing them with a flat piece of plastic (not with your hands because the shells can hurt). When you crush them, the fish in your tank will eat them up. The only reason they cant eat them is because your fish can't break their hard shells. That's why its good to get a loach, which has no problems cracking their shells. But, before you purchase a loach, try the manual approach of crushing them. If you crush enough, they will go away. Have fun!

And instead of a flat piece of plastic, you could always get some sort of roller so you can crush them without getting your hands wet. It makes it much more fun, but the approach I mentioned above is also fine.

Last edited:
I ask if they'll be ok cause my lfs wants to give me a few for free

Back
Top Bottom