Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mckitrick

Aquarium Advice Freak
Have a ton of snail that are spawning like crazy how do i get rid of them i have at least 100

What kind? Assassin snails do the trick! Also you can just give them all away of something!

They are snails from the river so i dont know but looking back putting them in my tank was stupid

I wouldn't recommend assassin snails because after they eat all your snails, you will have nothing to feed them. But like momma said, cut back on feeding.

Cornstar said:
I wouldn't recommend assassin snails because after they eat all your snails, you will have nothing to feed them. But like momma said, cut back on feeding.

I didn't know that they eat them that fast I just thought at rate of them producing and assassin eating it would just lower the rate they produce themselves and keep snails reasonable. Yup I would also cut back on feeding that's how they reproduce !

Nope pics sorry mainly because they bury themselves im the gravel so i cant find them only when the light is off for a while but thanks for the advice

A few yoyo loaches will clean them out in no time. You'll probably have a bunch in your filter as well.

Mckitrick said:
Nope pics sorry mainly because they bury themselves im the gravel so i cant find them only when the light is off for a while but thanks for the advice

Look up a picture of Malaysian trumpet snails. Sound like that's what you have. They are harmless (all snails are IMO).
Don't go and buy any loaches to 'solve' the problem. The population will go down of there is less food for them.

fredmertz said:
A few yoyo loaches will clean them out in no time. You'll probably have a bunch in your filter as well.

Suggesting the addition of loaches without knowing the size of a tank the stocking is reckless in regards to giving advice.

The best way to remedy a problem is to eliminate the source of said problem, ergo the availability of food for said snails.

I would cut back on feeding as said above, maybe lay out a lettuce leaf (weighted so it sinks) as a lure for the snails, once they gather you can remove the leaf and do what you please with the little blighters.

Look up a picture of Malaysian trumpet snails. Sound like that's what you have. They are harmless (all snails are IMO).
Don't go and buy any loaches to 'solve' the problem. The population will go down of there is less food for them.

I haven't seen a pond snail in my tank in more than 4 months, yet my filter is still full of them, so I'm not so sure just cutting down on feeding is going to get the job done.

Yours is one of those solutions that sounds better in theory than it tends to work in practice.

fredmertz said:
I haven't seen a pond snail in my tank in more than 4 months, yet my filter is still full of them, so I'm not so sure just cutting down on feeding is going to get the job done.

Yours is one of those solutions that sounds better in theory than it tends to work in practice.

Pond and bladder snails can live off of algae I believe, is you tank prone to algae growth?

Or have you noticed then eating it?

Scouser said:
Suggesting the addition of loaches without knowing the size of a tank the stocking is reckless in regards to giving advice.

The best way to remedy a problem is to eliminate the source of said problem, ergo the availability of food for said snails.

I would cut back on feeding as said above, maybe lay out a lettuce leaf (weighted so it sinks) as a lure for the snails, once they gather you can remove the leaf and do what you please with the little blighters.

Wow thanks that sounds great ill try asap thanks

Mumma.of.two said:

I didnt look at the snails till now and they look nothing like mine mine are black and the shell isnt long or elegant just short and stubby

Back
Top Bottom