...Snails...?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was shocked, after weeks of having my tank cycling, to dicover a good sized snail scaling the glass of my tank. I don't know what kind it is or what to do with it. I stuck it in the quarantine breeding box with my betta (who I can't let out of there yet because he keeps getting his fins stuck in the filter intake, and I don't know how to prevent that). Should I be worried? What kind is it? Do I have to kill it if it's a bad snail? (I don't like killing things...) If so, how? Can my fish eat it?

Pictures attached. Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_6100.jpg
    IMG_6100.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 115
If you smash it againt glass they may. Odds are youll have more in coming days. Good scavengers.

Oh great. So how do I keep them from eating my plants? I took the one out and he's by himself in a little glass fishbowl with some decaying plant matter from my melting plants ): How do I feel him? How do I find his friends and remove them, too?

Its a love hate deal. I like them some do some don't. Never can say I had them eat a plant. They will eat dead/dying plant material. I probably have 50 at least in my 10. along with mts and ramshorn. No need to loose sleep. If you hate them trap them.

Water bottle with couple rocks and a vegggie in it.

Wait a minute. It born itself in the tank? I don't understand

Either youve been lucky or unlucky depending on how you look at it. Or you haven't kept many live plants. Snails are a fact of life. Part of a healthy tank imo.

I had snails but I bought them and my tanks never had anything born itself ever. I do had and have many live plants.

Even if you salt dip plants the eggs are there. 2-4 weeks they hatch and it might take a few weeks to spot them.

Cover your filter intake with a sponge should help with the Berra fin problem and as for the snail you should probably get rid of it because I have a serious problem with snails in my 5 gallon, really not looking nice when they infest the tank.

I am only curious that aren't the plants are sterilized and treated for such things? I mean I don't know but if it happened in my tank I would feel like ewe. Like tank is not hygienic. I maybe wrong.

I am only curious that aren't the plants are sterilized and treated for such things? I mean I don't know but if it happened in my tank I would feel like ewe. Like tank is not hygienic. I maybe wrong.
You would feel sheepish? ??

Plants are generally not sterilized. Tissue culture plants are grown in an environment that's not conducive to tag-a-longs, but snails happen. Not at all a hygiene issue.

I adore snails just when I imagine they born itself in my tank I feel it like matter of hygiene lol. I know I am wrong

Ofcourse I love them. But always bought them from store and I can never feed these poor guys to my fish.

Back
Top Bottom