Sniperhank's Red Sea S-series 500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Things are going well. I'm geared up for a large water change. So, I got snails and hermits from swf.
I also picked up a green/red favites.
What about fish you say? Well, I have always wanted to do it so I decided to have a single fish tank. Clown tang incoming.

Things are going well. I'm geared up for a large water change. So, I got snails and hermits from swf.
I also picked up a green/red favites.
What about fish you say? Well, I have always wanted to do it so I decided to have a single fish tank. Clown tang incoming.
You're kidding?? You wouldn't put that fish in a 4 ft tank??

Just a quick update as I’ve been busy doing this and that as I prep for tomorrow’s water change.
Most of the algae is gone. Pretty happy about this.
A majority of the coral are doing great as well. The newest brain coral has struggled and has shown tissue recession due to the algae taking hold on the skeletal structure. I have thought of moving it to a lower flow area to help with inflation.
The clown tang was a short lived struggle. It would eat mysis, but refused to graze on the provided algae sheets. I watched it for a long time and it wouldn’t graze as it swam around either. After a week, it started eating the brown junk that is barely left in the tank. It later vanished. Hunger must be the best spice. Was a shot in the dark with such a difficult fish, but frustrating having a fishless tank. Back to fallow simply due to expense.
So in future pacing, I think I may try to keep a single fish in the system. Really unsure at this point on what to do with it. I’m always more interested in the coral, but there still needs to be a fish in the system if simply to assist with creating a more natural environment so there is gunk for the coral to eat from the water column. I would assume a grazer? We’ll see I guess. Suggestions always welcome.

I have moved the favia up some in the tank to get it away from the higher flow. Hopefully it’ll settle itself. Could literally see the flesh blowing in the flow. Odd since the worm brain doesn’t seem to care and I assumed it was quite low flow in my sandbed.
I also took the time to nuke some aiptasia and hunt down the wandering majano. It’s been blown around the tank and found a home in the hole of the frag plug of the acan lord. Bad place to hide with so easy to nuke there.

Nothing really out of the ordinary. Only thing of note would be the majano battle. Not overwhelming, but have been constantly killing them and they are all around the tank now. Pretty annoying.
Also wanted to throw in a picture of my Duncan colony. The one head is a purple color now. Pretty neat since my other colony was purple but turned green in the new tank under the new lights.
IMG_1310.jpg

Can you get a pic of of the purple or both even, under more natural light? I'd like to see it. I just got a little 1 head with 2 small ones at the sides really opened up after I put them in my tank. Green but has a tint of color to it maybe purple?

How fast do these guys add new heads?

Growth varies. This colony has over 50 heads...I have no clue how many it’s up to now. The other one is up to 5-6 when it was at deaths door. Couple heads in a couple weeks.

IMG_1318.jpg

Quick update. More aiptasia nuked today during water change. The favia didn’t make it. Never had any luck with those...or favites.
That aside, still have some brown algae in the tank. Done a lot of manual removal. This leads to the head scratcher. Skimmer is barely pulling anything from the water column. There is a small population of bristleworms that are staying quite small. Not really sure what is feeding it at this point.
Side point is that the pump on my diy reactor kicked the bucket. Hasn’t made much of a difference.

Correct. Small worms means not too much to feed on. A usual indicator of overfeeding is massive ones, which then people think they have fireworms in their tank since they have never seen them before too.
I can fix the diy reactor, just haven’t got around to switching out the pumps since the one that will pick up the slack is my mixing pump currently.

Here is the closest to whites I have seen on without altering my lighting schedule. You can still see the different colored head...of which there is more than one the closer I’ve paid attention to it.
IMG_1323.jpg

Back
Top Bottom