So... How does my overflow work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronalam

Aquarium Advice Freak
Odd title I guess lol.

I recently got a new tank (well, new to me) off someone and it's pre-drilled with an overflow.

I'm not too sure how it's suppose to be setup but I drew a basic picture, I think it has enough detail to explain where I am with it.

I think I need to add a siphon tube to get it to start overflowing?

overflow.png

No you wont need a syphon pipe,if the tank is drilled on the back or side you dont need the pipework going upwards when it comes out of the tank.just have it running straight down to the sump.the height of the opening of the pipe inside the tank governs the height of the water in there.

Appreciate the reply - thanks.

My only problem with that is, the guy who had it before it me has sealed the outlet from the side of the tank pointing up, it's not turned down.

I just twisted the bend so it points down, made sure it was all sealed and now it's all good to go!

Thanks for the reply.

As David S said, just have the pipe come straight down from the bulkhead.

You could also put a strainer end of the pvc inside the tank and leave it pointing up. That is only if you want the water level to be higher (*versus having it pointed down).

To get your siphon started. Typically, you open the ball valve on the overflow piping all the way open. Then you turn on your return pump and the water will automatically overflow. Then dial the ball valve on the return pump line to adjust the amount of flow entering the tank. Lastly, dial the ball valve on the overflow line to reduce any noise (gurgles). But I think you were only asking on that design you drew right?

Thanks for the reply, I just twisted the bend so it points down, plumbed it in and turned on the return pump.

All running now :D

Back
Top Bottom