So.. My main tank has Ich.. what now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bassoonguy

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,

As you all know who have read my last posts, my main display tank has Ich.. I am treating with a combo of Kick-Ich, Garlic, lowered salinity (1.019) and raised temp (81). It's working.. SLOWLY. The grouper appears to have kicked it's ailments.. no more scratching.. doesn't hang out as much in the jet stream from the pump. The lion still has some cloudiness on the eyes (appears to be ich cysts on the eye) as well as white spots on it's fins and body.. last night.. tried to eat a small scallop, but spit it out (immediately gobbled by the grouper).. also has taken to hanging out in the inflow from the wet dry. I'm afraid he's heading downhill.. what a loss that would be.. he's such beauty! :cry: ...one of my feather dusters lost it's crown, but I understand this is normal with changes in water chemistry.

I guess my big question is.. once a tank has Ich.. how to reduce a possibility of a relapse once it is cured? My original plan was to add a tang (probably a Regal).. but now that the tank has had Ich.. am I limited to tough fish like the grouper and Lion I have now? I can't treat with copper as I plan on keeping my live rock, hermit crabs, feather dusters.. and later.. some starfish. Please tell me I haven't made a mistake getting into the saltwater hobby again!

I am still a firm believer in above 80 no ich. I don't know.. Just seems to work for me. That doesn't mean I am not open to other diseases, however, I keep my tank at 82 to 84 degrees and everything seems to be fine... I hope that I nevr have to use chemicals to cure illness. I don't even like taking as much as an aspirin when I am sick. Hate to have to put the fish through more stress than they already are by swimming in medication polluted water...JMO

Please tell me I haven't made a mistake getting into the saltwater hobby again

Absolutely not, If you fall off of your bicycle, do you leave it where it is and walk home? Not usually, you pick it up, get back on, and away you go riding again...

Just look at my signature. It pretty much explains it all...

I would say once your fish are no longer showing ill signs, keep the temp up over 80 and hold off for about a month before you add anything new. With the temp being up and waiting awhile to add anything new, once the ick is killed it will greatly reduce the chance of a relapse. Dont give up either, most of us have went though ick a time or two. Just learn from your mistakes and keep on keepin on. :mrgreen:

I lost a Flame angel to ich and found it growing on my clowns as well. I found a good deal on some cleaner shrimp and then bought a Coral Beauty to replace the Flame. Since the addition of the cleaner shrimp I see spots develop now and then on some of the fish and within 24 hours it is gone. The cleaners are all over the Coral Beauty when ever it swims close. It stops and opens its mouth and one of the shrimp gives it a good once over. The smaller fish only seem to come by for a cleaning at night, at least that is the only time I have witnessed the same behavior. My point is that I never have any ich problems anymore.

Back
Top Bottom