Softening up Hard Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EG6256

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi!

One of my favourite fish is a German Blue Ram Cichlid, and I've tried keeping them before but my pH is just too high to keep them happy. I live in a hard water area, and I've heard that using a pH Down product can be ineffective due to the hardness.

My question is, does anyone know of a good way to soften water or lower the pH of hard water? I've been looking into an API Water Softener Pillow but I don't know if they work well or not.

Please let me know your opinions/suggestions! :)

Softening Hard Tank Water

Hi!

One of my favourite fish is a German Blue Ram Cichlid, and I've tried keeping them before but my pH is just too high to keep them happy. I live in a hard water area, and I've heard that using a pH Down product can be ineffective due to the hardness.

My question is, does anyone know of a good way to soften water or lower the pH of hard water? I've been looking into an API Water Softener Pillow but I don't know if they work well or not.

Please let me know your opinions/suggestions! :)

Hello EG...

You can add some floating plants like Anacharis and Duckweed. These will use minerals like calcium that make water alkaline. Some put peat moss in a small cheesecloth bag and hang the bag in the tank and change it according to their water tests. You can boil water and pour it over the peat moss and let it sit overnight. The peat soaks up the water and then you can press or strain off the water and add it to the tank. You'll have to test the tank water frequently to maintain the pH, but apparently, it can be done naturally.

B

Back
Top Bottom