Softie deaths

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steo the great

Aquarium Advice Freak
1. Type & how long you have had it: Kenya tree coral, xenia zoas and cup coral polyp also some star polyps

2. Current lighting & Bulb Age:
Led. Ai hydra X 2
3. Nitrate:
0 (nopox)
4. Calcium:
380 bit low i know
5. Phosphate:
Very low I use rowaphos
6. Alkalinity:
10-12
7. pH:
8. Salinity:1.025

9. Temperature:
26c
10. Liquid or strip test kits:liquid

11. Location in tank:middle to bottom

12. Current amount of flow:
Low flow but plenty throughout tank
13. Current tank dosing regimen:
I dose nopox 4mls a day and alk of 80 mls a day
14. Nearby coral:
None
15. Explanation of problem:pulsing xenia have just shrivelled and have white heads now. Star polyps raely open and some of the zoa colonies I have have disappeared

Then on the other hand my lps are thriving. My frogspawn and torch corals are splitting by the week and also my trumpet coral is splitting like crazy also.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402084966.012069.jpg few pictures

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402084966.012069.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1402084966.012069.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 113
This is usually an indication alk is off but you alk looks ok.

I would then look to Too much lighting or ultra low nutrients possibly. Both of which are good for lps/sps but not softies. Does your lfs have digital testers? If so have them test your water for nitrates and phosphates to see how close to 0 you are.

And what about calcium? Also they do have tester and my nitrate is definitly zero with the Red Sea nopox. But my phos probably is under 1 but still high I know. And how would I be achieving ultra low nutrients I do get algae and feed at least twice a day. I also have a red playing monti which is growing great. And I know that's a sign of low nutrient. But don't understand how.

Calcium is low for your hard corals but shouldn't affect your softies. Not familiar with nopox.
Excess Algae is an indication that nitrates and phosphates are in excess.

I keep softies in my tank to indicate when my alk is going out of whack. I've tried dosing to solve the issue, but large water changes are the best way to solve it in my experience.
How long has this been going on? Rather than the alk being off, a swift change in alk can also cause such things. Any other recent changes?

I change about ten per cent a week water on top of the alk dosing. But that's about it really. Nothing too dramatic.

What salt are you using? Shouldn't need to dose anything with regular water changes.

What's your magnesium? If that is low then you will not be able to maintain alkalinity at a proper level.

I just encountered a similar prob this morning after testing
I discovered my ph dropped drastically overnight going from 8.4 to 7.4
my alk also seemed to drop went from 10 to 6
the only thing I did was a 10% water change yesterday
oh I ran out of my brand salt and used reef crystals instead till I get another box that I already ordered I always use the kent marine otherwise
I don't see why a different salt would change everything that much
I'm just baffled
I don't usually dose but you think maybe I should till my numbers go back up

Back
Top Bottom