Some red "tendrils" coming from anus. Normal or something more sever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criason

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not sure if this is normal or some form of sickness like worms or something. Just last weekend bought a Jewel Cichlid from a local store. When she goes to the bathroom there appears to be a few tendril like things that are reddish in color coming out with the poop. Once she has finished doing her business the retreat back inside. It is really hard to get a picture of them with her swimming around and the fact that they are pretty thin.

She seems healthy on all other things though. When it is time to eat she is very happy to scoop up any food we give her. Doesn't appear thin and her colors are starting to come in more vibrantly. She doesn't seem to be laboring at all and seems to be acting normal for a Cichlid. Hiding in caves and other other fishy acts.

Let me know what you think. I might just be freaking out a little with being a first time parent with this little one. If I can snap a picture I will try and update with it.

Thanks

I don't have much experience with it. There are more people on this board that do. I would search this board for Camallanus worms. I believe Levamisole is what is recommended I think you can find it on ebay or other places. I bought some medicated food from angels plus online it has fenbendazole in it. If I remember correctly you can also get dog dewormer and soak blood worms in a specific dosage but it was a pain.

I would search this board for Camallanus worms. I believe Levamisole is what is recommended I think you can find it on ebay or other places. I bought some medicated food from angels plus online it has fenbendazole in it.

Worst worms to treat for from my experience. They are such a pain to completly get rid of. The angels plus fish food worked like a charm for my fish, but A friend of mine had to order the Levamisole and use that, as his fish did not respond to the flake food. It worked super fast, and the problem was solved.

The Levamisole dewormer is very strong though, so you have to be really careful about the dosage, or you could kill everyone in your tank. I would order the medicated food first and give that a try.

The poop changes color depending on what food I feed. If it's regular flakes its regular color. But I have some pellets that help enhance color and those make it pink. But there are 3-4 red threads that appear and dissapear. It's exactly as the link above describes. I ordered some medicinal flakes which should arrive pretty quickly. (they had better I paidan arm and a leg to ship them)

Update

I was finally able to snap a picture that is good enough to see what is going on. The medicated food is in transit. Very slow transit. Probably got caught up at the border into Canada as the only place I could find the food was in the US. She is still happy and active. No signs of stress or discomfort and the colors on her fins are coming in very quickly. More vibrant every day. Once I finish the treatment, she will get upgraded to her bigger home.

Attachments

• Bubbles.jpg
    Bubbles.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 174
I got my medicated food and did the treatment as per the instructionons on the bag. (was really nice looking foo btw and my fish loved it) I wasnt able to see if any of the potential worms were passed but I havent seen those tendrils for a few days. I will probably do another does of the medicated flakes just to be sure but so far so good.

Back
Top Bottom