Some thoughts on cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abmorissun

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just finished my fishless cycle last week and stocked it with African dwarf frogs and guppies. Finally.

All in all, it took well over 100 days (~50 days testing with dead test strips). I spent weeks and weeks waiting for my nitrites to disappear and they never did until I quit adding ammonia. 4ppm ammonia would clear before 2 days and the nitrites would clear around 4 days. My plain tap water reads 40 - 80 ppm nitrates (I did 4 80% partial water changes before stocking and I still had nitrates), so I have no real way of telling what that level is. pH didn't change much from 7.6. I read another post that recommended cutting back the ammonia dosage when nitrites show up, as a given part of ammonia is converted into several more parts of nitrites. I figured I was done when I saw yellow and blue twice over a week (no ammonia or nitrites).

All tests this week indicate 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites, with 4 guppies and 2 ADFs. I fed the fish twice a day and the frogs 3 times this week. The water is clear. According to aqadvisor, this stocking level is about 89%.

Whatever works. I'm thinking the important part is how fast the bacteria converted 4ppm ammonia and that nitrites take double that?

I filled this tank with water about the same time I learned I need a nitrogen cycle. I've been lurking the forums for awhile and learned a lot. Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge. I'll get some video tomorrow.

Dang, that's a lot of nitrates out of the tap. 40ppm is about as high as you want to go by the end of a week. What size tank do you have? I'm thinking you may need to fill the tank with 1/2 RO/distilled water and 1/2 tap water.

Busy morning. I retested my tap water and yeah, it's around 40ppm nitrates. I entirely forgot about water off-the-shelf. I have some Anubias and S. Repens and they look well. I love that the guppies rest on the Anubias leaves. What I really need are some tall plants for the back of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom