Something growing on my java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vladka

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm not sure if it's hair algae or what but some green, slimy and hairy thing keeps growing on my java moss, doesn't affect much else, and I can't eat rid of it! I take some off sometimes but it's ridiculous.
IMG_5115.jpgIMG_5116.jpg

Not good stuff. I need to pitch some moss because of this. I'm thinking I got it from some nano moss balls. To be honest, they looked more like tightly bundled clumps of clado rather than short, fine green hairs.

Any advice on getting rid of it? I have so much healthy moss! I don't wanna toss it all [emoji33]

H202 glut one-two punch

Take the guts out of your filter and create as much flow as possible. Dose 2tbs 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons. Allow to run for 15 minutes. Do a 40% water change. Double dose glutaraldehyde like Excel or Metricide.

Fresh, aren't Marimo balls clado?

H202 glut one-two punch

Take the guts out of your filter and create as much flow as possible. Dose 2tbs 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons. Allow to run for 15 minutes. Do a 40% water change. Double dose glutaraldehyde like Excel or Metricide.

Fresh, aren't Marimo balls clado?

Will this method hurt the fish?! I have shrimp, nerite snails, dwarf gourami, angelfish, and harlequin rasboras in there.

Yes, Marimo moss balls are a species of Cladophora. I'm thinking that the smaller moss balls are not true moss balls. I'd have to cut one open to verify. The hair algae I do see in my shrimp tank may have been dormant for some time before favorable conditions made them flourish.
I have not heard of adverse effects of using the 1-2 punch if done properly.

I did the 1-2 punch
Am now out of Excel
Purchased a CO2 system and hope it works well (Dr. Foster and Smith)
And I think it worked for the most part. I found some of it still green clinging to a plant and took that out but all of it that was attached to the java moss turned gray and is dead I presume.
The only thing I did different was use a different canister filter with its guts out so now I'm worried there may have been some in my other filter, but that doesn't make sense because I would have taken the guts out anyways, and I rinsed the pipes.

Back
Top Bottom