Something is eating my Kuhli Loaches ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZCNY

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 6 Kuhli Loaches on wed and Saturday night and Sunday night i found one dead each night with its skin stripped i attached a picture, my stock is 8 Platys, 6 Zebra Danios, 6 Neon Tetras, 4 Albino Corrys and now down to 4 Kuhli Loaches in my 72 g Tank, they are juvenile Kuhlis very small but i didnt think i had anything in my tank that would eat them it always happens at night i check the tank before i go to bed so i suspect the corrys

20130703_175923.jpg

20130708_082400.jpg

20130708_082448.jpg

Are your levels good for them? If not maybe that's killing them and they are getting picked at because nothing in your tank looks big enough to want to kill them. (Great looking tank)

i have not heard of corys picking on anything but dead bodies. i would suspect the kuhlis died because of stress or some other reason and the other fish just picked on the dead bodies

Just did a water test GH 0 KH 40 pH 7.2 Nitrite 0.25 ppm Nitrate 5.0-10 ppm (color was more leaning toward 5.0) Ammonia 0 ppm used Strip for GH and KH and Liquid test for all else

Cory cats are some of the most peaceful fish in an aquarium. It is waay more likely they died for some reason and the corys were just being scavengers.

Just did a water test GH 0 KH 40 pH 7.2 Nitrite 0.25 ppm Nitrate 5.0-10 ppm (color was more leaning toward 5.0) Ammonia 0 ppm used Strip for GH and KH and Liquid test for all else

You shouldn't have any nitrite which is very toxic to fish which could be the reason you've lost the small kuhli's. I know it's only a small amount but new fish and the fact they are young and small, it might have been too much for them.

I agree with rivercats. Small or young fish are very sensitive to nitrogenous bacteria.

I do a 75% WC when i get home today and check levels tomorrow to make sure they are in a safe range

Ok after yesterdays WC my levels today are Ammonia 0ppm Nitrite 0ppm Nitrate 0-5.0ppm more to 0 yellow I haven't lost anymore loaches and going to keep a close eye on the water levels and we go from there

Back
Top Bottom