Something is extremely wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laken

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
LONG POST! I am incapable of short posts:oops:

TL;DR CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS.
Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 5ppm

I have a female veiltail betta roughly about a year-and-a-half old. Something is extremely wrong with her and I'm not sure what to do.

She has always been big and fat and always had a slight hump to her back. Around May I noticed she was getting bigger but I just thought she was getting fat gobbling up more than her fair share of food.

In July I noticed she was missing some scales? A whitish patch had formed (not fungus or ich). I separated her to a quarantine tank and treated with melafix. No improvement.

I gave her roughly a week break before I tried something else.

I then treated with API fin and body. As I was treating her with fin and body I began to suspect it was maybe Columnaris. Even though she had no other symptoms of Columnaris the white patch had begun to grow and started to look like a saddle on her back. API fin and body gave her no improvement instead she got worse during the treatment and the white patch grow into the saddle. I couldn't get a real good picture of this.

I gave her another break from medication and then started treatment for Columnaris with a combo of API Furan 2 and Seachem Kanaplex. This treatment seemed to help her and the whitish area greatly diminished by the time this treatment was finished.

It's been abt two weeks since I've given her any medication. I have been observing her hoping that the remaining small white line that was left after the Furan 2 and Kanaplex treatments would continue its healing on it its own without any further treatment.

However, she has really started ballooning and now tonight I've noticed small holes in her fins.

What do I do from here??

There is definitely more than one thing going on imo. I'm wondering if she has dropsy/ something chronic. And now it looks like fin rot. I have never seen dropsy in person so I'm not really sure if this is it.

Whatever I do she seems to just be progressing worse and worse. Every time I think she's starting to get better she gets worse. Her quality of life doesn't seem to be affected tho.

Throughout all this she has maintained her feisty personality. Is active and inquisitive. And has a ferocious appetite.

Quarantine tank is a small two and a half gallon tank
Parameters of the water

The main tank she came from has no issues in that tank all the fish are fine.

Some notes on the photos:

- Photos dated through July and beginning of August - I did my best to capture the white areas but because my camera isn't great a lot of the white area on her back/sides didn't show up in the photos. You really can't tell how much she is healed from the photos, but it is significantly better.

- Photos dated 8.12.20 - the odd shape of her is most visible in this picture. She's always had that slight hump and a more rounded belly, but she always looked normal. It has now progressed to being so swollen she looks odd and lumpy.

- Photos dated 8.23.20 - the white area on the bottom is just glare. If you zoom in close you can see tiny holes in her fins.

TL;DR CHECK OUT THE PHOTOS.

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_1598229387364.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1598229387364.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 31
  • PhotoGrid_1598229722178.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1598229722178.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 35
  • PhotoGrid_1598230764746.jpg
    PhotoGrid_1598230764746.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 42
I’d run a second treatment of the furan 2 / kanaplax which can be needed for bad bacterial infections like columnaris.

Maintain water temperature (or don’t increase it ime), keep water conditions good and it sounds like reduced feeding is needed perhaps [emoji4]

Melafix, salt, etc I find useful to cleanup an infection but not always a cure by themselves.

The API fin and body looked to use doxycycline which will be less useful in harder water (like all tetracycline group meds) and I’d suspect the furan 2 will be more effective.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom