Something murdering my bamboo shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aisforangelfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a well cycled 55g aquarium with ufg, 3 powerheads, and a submersible filter that homes 3 lg angels, 3 small angels, a skunk loach, a rainbow shark, and a handful of black neons and danios. I recently brought home 2 bamboo shrimp from petco. Their bamboo shrimp regularly have DOA's but it's the only place for miles that carries them and their warranty is such that it seemed like a good idea. Anyway, I got two and they did great for a while. They would sit on "their rock" and feed for days on end, but suddenly I lost one in the night, I replaced him, and the replacement died a day or two later. I still have one of the original two but he hides above my powerhead like he's afraid for his life. The fish don't seem too interested but perhaps at night or something that rainbow shark is killing them. The rainbow shark is only 3 inches, and the skunk loach is smaller than him. The angels don't seem interested in the shrimp. Could something else be wrong? I don't see my shrimp feeding like he used to either. I think I'm going to isolate my rainbow shark for the time being and see what happens. Any suggestions?

What are the params?

Shrimp are delicate and any fluctuations can be fatal for em.

Also the angels an sharks are likely suspects.

What did the shrimp look like when you found it dead? Was it missing parts or whole?

So I tested my water with my api drop test kit and it showed no ammonia or nitrites. I vaccumed my tank really well a week or so before I got the shrimp so I thought my water would be ideal. After testing I decided a water change would be a safe bet anyway so I did a 50% change. The shrimp is now feeding and that was less than an hr ago I did the water change. I am thoroughly confused now. I guess I'll keep the rainbow shark in there for a while longer since everything seems to be fine. The first shrimp had his eyes eaten out and the second looked entirely intact. Is there something else I should be testing for? My ph is about 7. I don't have any other kits really except those. I turned my heater down a tad to 75. I would think if the fish were bothering the shrimp he would be moving throughout the tank once in a while as the fish disturbed him. He sure moves when I disturb him. Thanks for the help!!

Hmmm I dunno.

The missing eyes probably got eaten once it had passed.

Sorry I can't be more help!

But I've had shrimp that have just died in perfect conditions too...

the bamboo shrimp love power heads and filters as that's how they eat. I have a angel, golden wonder kili, two gbrs and a dwarf guarami in a tank with one bamboo and he does great. Maybe you don't have enough food floating around to sustain 2.

iheartmyed9 said:
the bamboo shrimp love power heads and filters as that's how they eat. I have a angel, golden wonder kili, two gbrs and a dwarf guarami in a tank with one bamboo and he does great. Maybe you don't have enough food floating around to sustain 2.

That's a good idea actually!!

Food or lack there of would kill em off

I've decided something is definitely killing them or petco shrimp die regularly. Since I posted this originally I have done two 50% water changes over the course of two days, not vacuuming but just replacing water. I also feed my fish pretty well at least once sometimes twice a day with tropical flake, bloodworms, and/or a multi variety pack of brineshrimp, bloodworms, daphnia and other goodies. Also, the shrimp have been out and feeding this entire time. I replaced the dead one from before and bought another thinking a group of three might be stronger, and the original shrimp is still in there. He shed his exoskeleton which is why I think he was hiding and my water params have probably been acceptable this entire time. I'm suspect of my skunk loach and rainbow shark, but the body was intact again except for the eyes. I think I'll just let these ones run their course and accept that shrimp aren't right for my aquarium. Thanks scouser and iheartmyed9 for the advice and time!
-Adam

prob. just petco fish, usually the ones i see are always feeding from substrate which ONLY happens when they aren't getting fed properly:( sad

if they are eating off filters, or areas with lots of flow, they are healthy:)

sorry for your loss:(

ime, petco fish aren't worth it evne though the guarantee is 1 month, just a waste of life

You are totally right that the petco warranty inhibits the wasting of life, and I thought about that as all of this happened. That is what made up my decision to not pursue keeping these any further. I also recently learned that these are all completely wild caught and aren't really ever bred in captivity. Maybe they're not for aquariums in the first place.

Yeah, you are right about them being wild-caught. Since most of the bamboos available are already full grown, its impossible to know how old they are. Thats another reason they die. Even when you get a healthy one, its really common for them to just die of old age awhile later. Unfortunately, it happens. I have to say that I have not had any better luck with them despite any of the places I have purchased them at. And then the replacements were proably not very healthy when you got them. Its too bad, because they are very rewarding critters to keep when you are able find nice, healthy ones.

I've had mine now for 6 months. In a 55 tall. Feedings once a day. He swims up to the filter or stands over the bubbler. He sometimes picks off the substrate but its usually picking on the ground on his way to the filter or bubbler. I just have one. I've always worried about him and suspected for the longest he might bite the bullet but he's been strong and happy since I got him from PETCO. I'd be willing to bet that's your problem is food. I just don't think your tank has enough of it since you say only one stays alive. Correct me if I read it wrong. But I wouldn't go overfeeding either I'd just have one. I've been told there social but mine has always been happy by himself. Not a expert by any means I mean lol I still don't really understand where his food comes from other than particles in the water. Yet my water is crystal clear. Hmm go figure. Best of luck tho. I love my bamboo shrimp. Call him the Kraken. Lol he's hideously cool

You are totally right that the petco warranty inhibits the wasting of life, and I thought about that as all of this happened. That is what made up my decision to not pursue keeping these any further. I also recently learned that these are all completely wild caught and aren't really ever bred in captivity. Maybe they're not for aquariums in the first place.

My bamboo shrimp passed away last night. I had him long enough to watch him molt twice. Unfortunately they are wild caught and there is no telling when they might go. I won't be buying anymore even though i enjoyed him immensely.

I think i'll try my hand at red cherry or some other variety that can multiply on thier own and are less demanding feeders. Anyways good luck with your guys!!!

I'd say the skunk loach is a definite suspect. They are the most aggressive loaches I've ever kept.

I haven't been able to sustain bamboo shrimp long term, even in a tank that was several years old. They are obligate filter feeders and most are probably starving by the time they leave the wholesaler to go to the shops.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom