Something on my sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello everyone!

I have only just begun to cycle my tank. LS and some LR in tank and in refugium. In the last 24 hours some yellowish-brown (mustard color) spots have popped up all over the sand. What is this? If this were FW I would call it algae.

Help Pleaes!

Thanks

Most likely diatom algae. It's a natural part of your cycle and eventually will subside...

Or I should say, give way to green algae :D

I started my cycle a week and a half ago and started to see the same thing 2 days ago. Now the sand, LR etc is covered with it. I'm wondering when do we clean it from the tank walls and equipment? So far I haven't touched it....

Since my cycle has only just begun but has been jump started with the LR and LS and some seed sand from the LFS would adding to take care of the algae be a good idea? I've never had a problem with algae in my FW tanks I know they are completely different but the basic principle is the same. The use of RODI water, I thought, was going to be a way of avoiding the algae problems, I guess it is part of the natural habitat. Thank you for your input!

The diatom bloom is perfectly normal regardless of RO/DI water. It is just thriving off of the excess nutrients your cycle is creating. Best thing to do is after the cycle is complete and you only have a NO3 reading is to do a WC and purchase a clean up crew. They will clean the sand rocks for you. RO/DI is a good choice to start with. You will be happy with that purchase later on.

Thanks Brenden, I was hoping to hear that this was a normal reaction to the bioload building up. I have NO regrets buying the RODI system, it is doing wonders for my FW plants. I still have a lot more LR to add to the system, do you think I should wait or go ahead and add it in?

Wait until after your cycle is complete and then add your clean up crew, I just added a turbo snail to my tank and he is awesome eating all of the brown algea.

Back
Top Bottom