Spec 5 lighting and plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
My Spec 5 arrived today so of course I have some questions :whistle:

I bought it specifically for my scarlet badis colony. Substrate with be Tahitian mood sand; I have the option of using it alone or as a cap. Upgrading the lighting isn't an option at this point. I dose my other tanks with root tabs, Comp, Excel, and Leaf Zone.

So brand new tank, still in the box....what are your awesome plant suggestions?

Dang it I had an edit to that reply and a good portion of a paragraph typed up again, let me try again.. :/

First off I always thought those fluval tanks were cool, I didnt recognize the name at first I think cause I've always called it a spec "vee"... Pardon my lack of experience with roman numerals.

I think some crinum natans would be awesome in there, as well as my usual suggestions of dwarf sag and a floating plant (I do enjoy as good floating plant, specifically dwarf water lettuce) and I also enjoy jungle val, which mayy be a little big especially with the crinum natans. But I think those are awesome tanks:)

best of luck!

No problem, and thanks for the response.

Since the fish already have a home I want to plan this out before rushing into anything.

Dwarf sag are definitely in and I'm a big fan of floating plants.

Would you do the sand alone or capped over dirt?

Well I have done a dirted tank actually!!! What you won't hear out in the real world is you do need to wash the dirt. I know that sounds dumb but you do! Not too much because you don't want to drain nutrients out, but enough. As well as that pick out the large chunks.

I'd suggest using dirt if you are going to plan everything out, set everything up fill the tank and watch it grow. But if you're like me and always messing with stuff inside the tank, as soon as plants get pulled from the substrate they will send debris into the air. So be weary of that when making your decision.

Floating plants I've recently learned are awesome, but they will suck up a lotttttt of nutrients. In your case if you do a dirted tank go for the floaters because you will have so much excess nutrients!! If you arent, then I'd stay away from them.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for dosing with a dirted tank is though. That info will have to come from elsewhere:)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My Spec 5 arrived today so of course I have some questions :whistle:

I bought it specifically for my scarlet badis colony. Substrate with be Tahitian mood sand; I have the option of using it alone or as a cap. Upgrading the lighting isn't an option at this point. I dose my other tanks with root tabs, Comp, Excel, and Leaf Zone.

So brand new tank, still in the box....what are your awesome plant suggestions?

How exciting! I debated getting one for a while, but I currently have more nano tanks than I know what to do with and I have a Fluval Spec already...MTS much :whistle:

Anyway, I would recommend low light plants, I've heard that the Spec V's light is not very bright. Some Cryptocoryne wendtii, Anubias nana petite sp., or Microsorum pteropus 'threadleaf'/'narrowleaf' might look nice.

Also, here is a website I found helpful regarding Fluval Specs: Spec-Tanks - dedicated to the nano aquarist

If you do sand or dirt you may have to seal off the safety hole at the bottom of the internal filter wall or dirt and sand will get sucked into the filter pump. If you do seal it off make sure the water level never goes below the intake grid or the pump area will run dry. The spec's are awesome little tanks I miss my spec II.

If you do sand or dirt you may have to seal off the safety hole at the bottom of the internal filter wall or dirt and sand will get sucked into the filter pump. If you do seal it off make sure the water level never goes below the intake grid or the pump area will run dry. The spec's are awesome little tanks I miss my spec II.

I've been doing some research on the tank itself and heard about that. Getting some silicone today so at least I can start something with this tank!

I've been doing some research on the tank itself and heard about that. Getting some silicone today so at least I can start something with this tank!

I really think the spec line of tanks is the best setup out there for a small tank. The filtration is over kill for the size tank. You are causing trouble in my head because I know many stores are closing out on these tanks and I'm now thinking of picking one up again. For the dirt is it just something like miracle grow potting soil capped with sand?

I really think the spec line of tanks is the best setup out there for a small tank. The filtration is over kill for the size tank. You are causing trouble in my head because I know many stores are closing out on these tanks and I'm now thinking of picking one up again. For the dirt is it just something like miracle grow potting soil capped with sand?

Causing trouble in your head...I know that feeling :whistle:

My Walstad/Project Tank is organic potting soil capped with a small layer of fine gravel. Thought I had decided to to with the sand but now I'm tempted by Eco Complete, never used it before.

Back
Top Bottom