TheresaM's first tank build thread: Spec 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheresaM

Aquarium Advice Addict
Finally thought I'd dive in and start a build thread, it's somewhat of a continuation from this thread.

Tank: Fluval Spec 5, black trim
Substrate: undecided
Lighting: will start with led that came with the tank but hoping to upgrade to a Finnex at some point
Plants: undecided
Stock: scarlet badis colony, RCS, bumblebee nerite, MTS

So normally I get a new tank and start working on it; actually going to take my time and plan this one out.

Today's project is to silicone the filter bypass. Wish I had known about this when I got my Evolve 4, would have saved a lot of time experimenting with sponges :facepalm:

Would like some input on substrate. I tossed around the idea of capped dirt which I have in a nano tank. I really like the looks Tahitian Moon Sand and have two 5lb bags available to use. Since I'd like to upgrade the lighting at some point though I'm considering Eco Complete instead. Any thoughts or advice?

Following because the last thing I want is extra money in my bank account.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pics or it didn't happen:p

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pics or it didn't happen:p

Really?!?

Ok, here ya go:

img_3188813_0_0c6fc05b09b067e483b7004fc0697691.jpg

Admiring :whistle:

img_3188813_1_97f76892c6df23901bb089a50b506d0e.jpg

First time using aquarium sealant, no one warned me about the smell...

img_3188813_2_417e3ae278333d9f1dffb108d846f680.jpg

Oh yea I forgot to mention that the spec's come with the best box too. A freakin handle to carry it with.

Oh yea I forgot to mention that the spec's come with the best box too. A freakin handle to carry it with.

I know, right?

Been doing a lot of research today, think I might go with the Eco Complete. Have any experience with it?

I have it in my 20. It was suggested to me by Brookster and I believe I Gillie or Freak after they yelled at me for buying flora max. It seems to be working but my tank is only about a month old. The only think I wish was it would hold plants better before the roots get established.

I have it in my 20. It was suggested to me by Brookster and I believe I Gillie or Freak after they yelled at me for buying flora max. It seems to be working but my tank is only about a month old. The only think I wish was it would hold plants better before the roots get established.

I have sand on top oft ecocomplete. Yeah didn't think it through that they will eventually get switched because Gravity is dumb, but it holds the plants well till the dojo finds them and digs it up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

If you want to take it to the next level I'd recommend Aquasoil such as ada, brightwell or fluval..

I have eco complete in a 10gal, and my plants are doing great. Its been in my tank for almost 4 months now.

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have sand on top oft ecocomplete. Yeah didn't think it through that they will eventually get switched because Gravity is dumb, but it holds the plants well till the dojo finds them and digs it up.

Gravity is dumb, my second favorite comment of the day (y)

I considered doing that though, how does it look?

If you want to take it to the next level I'd recommend Aquasoil such as ada, brightwell or fluval..

Are they that much better than the Eco Complete? Considering the fact that all my tanks are either gravel or stand pretty much anything is moving to the next level....

If it's going to stay low tech than Eco should be fine but if.youre going to move on up at some point than the aquasoil would be my vote.

Back
Top Bottom