Speeding up my cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
Do you think it's okay to add water from an already cycled tank into a currently cycling tank?

Water holds little to no beneficial bacteria which is what you are trying to establish in your tank, while water will not help some filter media will most definitely help! Can you get a filter pad from this source?

I could probably cut the pad in half and put it in my new tank I also put a Scoop of gravel in a mesh bag and a rock from the tank in there but it's just not going fast enough

I could probably cut the pad in half and put it in my new tank I also put a Scoop of gravel in a mesh bag and a rock from the tank in there but it's just not going fast enough
The gravel should help if it's from a well established tank pad will make all the difference

Anything from the established tank will speed up the cycle, used media is the best, however substrate can help also, as you have suggested, if you are doing a fishless cycle increase temp to 30'c and add as much surface agitation as possible, air stones etc, spray bar positioned about waterline.

This should all help towards getting the bacteria to establish itself quickly.

Anything from the established tank will speed up the cycle, used media is the best, however substrate can help also, as you have suggested, if you are doing a fishless cycle increase temp to 30'c and add as much surface agitation as possible, air stones etc, spray bar positioned about waterline.

This should all help towards getting the bacteria to establish itself quickly.

I have it up to 30c and the filter running with the water low enough to create movement and not be irritating haha also have a bubble bar at the bottom of the tank should I move it up? It's on full blast and covers the entire back of the tank

The only other thing i would suggest is the old media, my tank fishless cycled in 3 weeks without any help from old media.

Back
Top Bottom