spicing my 16gal up. need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

somal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Right now i have 4 neon tetra and 2 swordtails. I have had this tank for over a year, just looking to brighten it up. Maybe more fish, maybe decorations. Just looking for some good suggestions! thanks
photoqf.jpg

here is the list of fish I have that are really cool and dont't kill each other
1. Small Angelfish (if they are the smallest ones you can find they wont hurt tetras and they need a companion)
2. Fancy Guppies (always brighten the tank with colors)
3. Mickey Mouse Platys ( really cool)
4. Black mollies ( they always make the tank interesting because they are totally black and always look misterious)

IMO, angels do not belong in a 16g tank at all, and especially not with that many fish already in it.

I agree about adding 2 more neons to make a proper school.
Some other fish that could work IMO would be black neons, glowlight tetras, glowlight danios (not glofish), and some smaller species of rasbora.
More plants is always a good thing IMO. It really makes the fish colors pop out.

I have 2 angelfish in my 10gal and they are perfectly fine and are the best fish i have ever had

Angelfish898 said:
I have 2 angelfish in my 10gal and they are perfectly fine and are the best fish i have ever had

A 10g is no home for an angel. They get quite large and if not in a mating pair can get very aggressive towards each other when reaching sexual maturity. I am by no means an angel expert but they do not belong in a 10g. I wouldn't even keep one in my 17g. You need to do some serious research into the fish in your tank. Learn about them and their needs. Your tank is way over stocked.

I have rescued a couple of angels out of 10g tanks. They certainly still swam around, but they were definitely stunted and were not able to show their true spectrum of behaviors in such a small environment. I certainly know they can live, but that doesn't really mean they are fine. If you don't belive me, feel free to start a thread about the minimum tank size for angels and see what other people have experienced or have to say. :)

I'd look into getting a dwarf variety of gourami as a centerpiece fish, bring the school of neons up to about 10-12 and get rid of the swordtails and add a small 6-8 school of pygmy or habrosus cories. That should give you movement in all levels of the aquarium. Add some live plants and a nice peice of driftwood, a nerite snail and you'll have an active beautiful tank in no time. The plants will help to keep your levels down but you'll still have to be vigilant with your weekly maintenance

somal said:
Right now i have 4 neon tetra and 2 swordtails. I have had this tank for over a year, just looking to brighten it up. Maybe more fish, maybe decorations. Just looking for some good suggestions! thanks

I'm sorry I kind of hijacked your thread a little bit.

I have a school of 10 neon tetras in my 17g and they are really beautiful to watch when they school together. So I would suggest fill your school out not to just 6 but 10.

Back
Top Bottom