Spiking Ammonia Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks missile. I am sure this is just what you wanted to do with your time. The input and advice is appreciated.

Crap, now my Ammonia and Nitrites are up to 1.0 and my Nitrates are holding steady at 10 ppm.

Did a 20% water change. Is it just a "wait and see" thing now or am I doing something wrong?

I'd say 1.0 ammonia is a good enough reason to do another wc. If you can try to keep it under .5

Anyways, was the 1.0 before or after the wc? If it was before you should be okay imo.

Last edited:
You're not doing anything wrong. It's weird to have ammonia and nitrite at the same time though.

It's weird to have ammonia and nitrite at the same time though.
Not really, the amonia spike and nitrite spike overlap during the cycle
img_965573_0_8cff5e748ec4cbebaf80f41b060a45fc.gif

All the levels were before the WC. It was late and I was exhausted from traveling all day so I did not test after the WC last night.

New levels this morning

Ammonia - .5
Nitrites - .5
Nitrates - 10ppm

Just keep testing is what I am deducting from all the advice. WC if it keeps going up.

Does it make sense that Nitrates would go up, Ammonia stays flat and Nitrites goes down?

Ammonia - .5
Nitrites - .25
Nitrates - 20 ppm

Seems to me the Nitrites should spike before going down when Ammonia is flat.

Advice?

Your amonia to nitrite bacteria may be trying to catch up from a partially stalled cycle? Remember you had that huge spike just a few days ago.

Could that cause my nitrite to nitrate bacteria to recycle. Just hope I am not doing something to cause it to keep stalling. Then again, I already did that so hopefully this is the last time.

I don't think so. I don't think your cycle will take much longer. I will be surprised if it is not done by this weekend.

I think I am finally seeing daylight, but wonder if my Nitrate level is okay.

Ammonia is .25 (down from .5 yesterday)
Nitrite is 1.0 (up from .5 yesterday)
Nitrate looks to be 10 ppm, but was borderline 20 ppm (was 20 ppm yesterday)

Sound like I am on it? Should I do a water change or sit and wait at this point?

My other tank cycled in two weeks with gravel from the goldfish tank. Did the same here, but guessing the amount of fish put in and the problems I had in the beginning really slowed this one down.

I think thats okay. As the nitrogen gets processed, it becomes less and less harmful.

Think I might have found the root of my evil with my tank that seems like it will never cycle. Ammonia levels of my tap water.

My other two tanks were done with filtered water until cycled. Now with just 10-20% water changes they do have issue with eliminating the ammonia.

The new tank has always been tap water and little from other tanks to help out the bacteria growth (thanks to me tossing the old filter media before realizing I had an issue). Well, I tested it today (no I had not done that) and sure enough the Ammonia level tested out at .5. Is that high? Could it be causing problems, with Nitrite spikes, stalling cycles, etc.?

Not real awfull high for your tank and your bacteria should take care of it.
You can use Prime or Amquel plus as a conditioner and it will remove it.
I would have some strong words for my water department though.
Amonia in my tap water is completely unacceptable.

Yeah, really sad for Austin, the tree hugger capital of Texas.

So finally it seems to be happening. I could not find the other thread where someone else was going through where I stand now...so I have a question.

My readings are

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 1.0
nitrate - 40 ppm

Do I need to do a water change? if so, how much?

Could not remember if 40 ppm would stall a cycle or not.

I'm not sure about the "rules of thumb" on this one, but I think 40ppm nitrate is a bit high, so maybe a 15-20% wc. Other specs are good

40ppm is not high for a fishless cycle.
It would be the high limit with fish and then would require a PWC (I try to stay below 20ppm when I have fish in an aquarium)
I don't like to get above 80ppm fishless, above 100ppm may stall the cycle.

This is the one with fish in it that has gone on so long, so I did a 20% WC last night. Hopefully we are coming to an end.

Back
Top Bottom