Spiraling fish HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

29gallonNEWB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Help. This is bad.
I have a 29 gallon tank. Water params are great, 7 black neon tetra, 4 panda Cories, and 3 amano shrimp all were living peacefully until I decided to introduce 7 gold neon tetra and 1 Bolivian ram.

I've narrowed it down to one or two things, but neither may be right. When I introduced the ram, I noticed he scratched himself on the gravel. I instantly thought it was ich, but there were no other signs. I chalked it up to stress and since then I haven't seen him scratching or flashing.

The next day two of my gold neons went missing. As I was watching the tank, I noticed them going after each other very intensely. Upon closer inspection most of them had missing fins. I look for the two fish again and found them this time, pressed against the back of the filter intake screen, dead. I removed them immediately and dosed prime after testing and noticing a nitrate spike (from the dead fish bodies I presume).

After this I kept watching and noticed one of the other gold neon tetras starting swimming in circles and upside down. He was dead a few hours later. This morning, I woke up to find one of my black neon tetras dead.

No warnings at all. Is this neon tetra disease? I inspected them all with a magnifying glass and saw no abnormalities, except the gold neon tetra who just died had an orange dark color to its skin, not the typical gold color.

I have to admit when I first thought it was ich I decided to increase my temp from 76 to 80. I did it gradually though, two degrees a day. Was it stress from that? If it's neon tetra disease will my Cories or Bolivian get it too? What should I do??? Please help ;(

Neon tetra disease tetrahyemana is a parasite that presents as brown or tan colored skin lesions, bent spines sometimes, and even callus like raised lesions. It is a parasite that lives in the gravel and numbers in the tens of thousands. There is no cure. Only thing to do would be to start over and bleach everything. Here are some pictures for you to reference if you think that is what it is.https://www.google.com/search?q=Pic...hVK5yYKHZR9CXEQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=pu4pwVAou55lmM:
Contrary belief, it does not just affect tetras, even guppies can get it if they are in a tank with the paraistie in the gravel, commonly mixed with neon tetras, or if there are any feeder guppies brought in. Usually it comes from a "mom and pa" type fish store with people who are not careful about Q new fish or from good sources (like feeder fish often carry it)

Thank you for your reply. So what should I do with my other fish? Will it affect them?
-4 panda cories
-3 amano shrimp
-4 gold neon tetra
-6 black neon tetra
-1 Bolivian ram

Back
Top Bottom