Sponge filter question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctordamen

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am setting up a 5G fry tank for my blue rams with a sponge filter.. I understand how the filter works in general.
Question is.. The bottom piece of tubing inside the sponge, where the O2 comes out.. Should I leave the tube open and have large bubbles released? Or should I put a small air stone on there for more surface area of O2 to pull up water?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sounds good, I have all that on hand... What size air pump do you use? My tank is 5G, the sponge filter is about 5 inches in diameter..
I feel like my sponge might be too big? I only have a top fin 1000 (for a 10g) hooked up right now. I have a tetra 40 (40g) kicking around.. Maybe use that one ?

Is there maybe a test to see how strong it is pulling water through... Drop a pellet of food on the side and see how long it takes to get stuck to the filter?

I think my air pump is rated for a 20-40 gallon tank, but can't remember. I have a valve that controls the flow of air so that it is not overpowering. As long as the tank is maintained, I wouldn't worry too much about needing too much suction. Since it is only for fry, the tank shouldn't have huge particulate matter.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?
http://floridaorchidendlers.com

Okay thanks! Maybe I'll move my tetra 40 over to the fry tank with a control/T valve and hatch my baby brine shrimp there too

Wow, I can definitely see how adding the air stone increases the efficiency of the sponge filter

A 5 gallon tank is a bad idea for delicate fry, water conditions can change too quickly. Much better with at least a 10, or ideally a 20 long with a poret foam divider.

Back
Top Bottom