Sponge in front of filter outflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am arranging my ten gallon for shrimp, and I have some pantyhose to tie around the filter intake. But I also found out that RCS don't like fast-moving waters. The very top of the water is a turbulent wavepool, and I needed a way to cover the outflow of the filter. I found a large piece of sponge to put in front of the filter outflow. Problem is, the sponge has been used for washing cars, so it's got car cleaner and dirt all over it. How can I clean the sponge to make it safe for RCS?

phoenixkiller said:
I am arranging my ten gallon for shrimp, and I have some pantyhose to tie around the filter intake. But I also found out that RCS don't like fast-moving waters. The very top of the water is a turbulent wavepool, and I needed a way to cover the outflow of the filter. I found a large piece of sponge to put in front of the filter outflow. Problem is, the sponge has been used for washing cars, so it's got car cleaner and dirt all over it. How can I clean the sponge to make it safe for RCS?

How many GPH is the filter? I don't think a wavepool at the top matters that much because they usually like to hang on to plants or sit on the substrate. Good idea covering the intake, you don't want shrimp or babies to get sucked in there. I wouldn't use a sponge like that, it probably has chemicals that can hurt the fish. I would just put pantyhose over the intake and see how it goes. If flow does become an issue try putting 2 layers of pantyhose over the filter.

Problem is, the sponge has been used for washing cars, so it's got car cleaner and dirt all over it. How can I clean the sponge to make it safe for RCS?

You can't. Once a sponge has been used in any soap, you cannot use it for fish-related items.

I have a strong current flowing from my RCS tank filter, they don't care. They hang out on the substrate or in the java moss, directly to the right of the flow.

I bought a small prefilter sponge and popped it over my intake. The shrimp love to congregate on it and I know they won't get sucked up into the filter.

How many GPH is the filter? I don't think a wavepool at the top matters that much because they usually like to hang on to plants or sit on the substrate. Good idea covering the intake, you don't want shrimp or babies to get sucked in there. I wouldn't use a sponge like that, it probably has chemicals that can hurt the fish. I would just put pantyhose over the intake and see how it goes. If flow does become an issue try putting 2 layers of pantyhose over the filter.
Ok, that makes sense.

BTW, your PM box is full, so delete some of my messages to you so I can send you one more...

phoenixkiller said:
Ok, that makes sense.

BTW, your PM box is full, so delete some of my messages to you so I can send you one more...

Sorry about that, I deleted some. What filter do you have on the tank?

phoenixkiller said:
It's an Aqueon Quietflow 10 (100 GPH).

You will be fine as long as you have the water level above the filter outflow.

Ok.

One more question: I have a bubbler system in the 10 gallon (Pump, tubing, bubble stone) that I wanted to move to the 55 gallon. Would the shrimp need the extra aeration, or can I move the bubbler system to the 55 gallon tank?

Back
Top Bottom